[Vision2020] James Webb Telescope: Practical Applications of Gold Beyond Currency

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 01:31:40 PST 2018

The pending launch of the James Webb space telescope in 2021 will be
one of the most important developments in human history.  Hopefully,
assuming it succeeds:
https://scienceblogs.com/startswithabang/2017/03/01/how-nasas-james-webb-space-telescope-will-answer-astronomys-biggest-questions-synopsis

I was amazed to discover gold used on the mirrors!  Another application of
gold beyond currency!
https://jwst.nasa.gov/mirrors.html
"Gold improves the mirror's reflection of infrared light."
----------------------------
Anyway, info on applications of gold beyond currency are below.

It has been stated that the value of gold as traded on financial markets as
though it were a kind of "currency" (gold coins?) is a now a fanciful
notion.  The dollar as backed by gold ended in 1971:
https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/fdr-takes-united-states-off-gold-standard
"The government held the $35 per ounce price until August 15, 1971, when
President Richard Nixon announced that the United States would no longer
convert dollars to gold at a fixed value, thus completely abandoning the
gold standard."

Thus I wondered what are the practical applications of gold that can
contribute to its financial
value apart from connections to currency or the dollar?

I came up with a list.  After reading about gold used for the mirrors in
the James
Webb Space telescope, this is another use.

Jewelry.  Beauty may not be viewed as "practical" but in marketing and
motivating human behavior it is worth billions.

Of course, most everyone has heard of gold dental fillings, but I guess
this is because of
its anti-corrosive properties, which is again listed below.

Conductivity of electricity.

Gold flake is used for a radiation-control coating for spacecraft:
https://www.azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=598

Anti-corrosive applications, such as the gold record (yes, phonograph!)
carried by the Voyager spacecraft:
https://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/golden-record/
"The Voyager message is carried by a phonograph record, a 12-inch
gold-plated copper disk containing sounds and images selected to portray
the diversity of life and culture on Earth."