[Vision2020] Caturday (April 28, 2018)

Moscow Cares moscowcares at moscow.com
Sat Apr 28 05:13:31 PDT 2018

The outlook for stray felines living in a town with no animal shelter can be bleak. One woman has opened her home to almost 800 cats over the years to help keep them safe while the town does nothing. Let's give her a round of applause on Caturday.

Courtesy of Northwest Arkansas at:

http://www.nwahomepage.com/news/woman-houses-dozens-of-cats-while-waiting-for-animal-shelter-1/1141882605?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

——————————————-

Woman Houses Dozens of Cats While Waiting for Animal Shelter

BENTONVILLE, Ark. (KNWA) - Unaccounted for animals across Bentonville may soon have a place to call home. The city council approved the creation of a special task force last night to decide the future of both feral and foster animals in the city. One woman has opened her home to help the process move along.

Linda Picken, director of the Northwest Arkansas non profit, Fabulous Felines, says she has her hands full.

"I've got snowflake, Julia Roberts, Gwen and Bambi. I've got Bonnie, Lorie and Blazer. I've got the six in here and I've got checkers and E.T," said Linda Picken, the director for Fabulous Felines, a non-profit, as she attempts to count the cats in her home. "I've got Sapphire. Sapphire is in there. Oh! And Casey! And those are just fosters. I've got 9 of my own!"

Picken says she's a shining example of why Bentonville needs an animal shelter of its own.

"We took in almost 800, we counted like 778 and I'm sure there were some that we forgot to list," Picken said.

Picken had 24 cats in her house on Wednesday, but its not unusual for her to have up to 45 at one time. On Tuesday night, a special task force was approved by the Bentonville City Council to analyze the need for a facility.

"It's not just for the animals, it's for the community. People call us asking for help, asking for direction, they don't know what to do when the animals are on their property," said Oliva Nagel, the founder of Crystal Creek Rescue.

Bentonville doesn't have any ordinances to protect cats. So colonies of feral felines can be found running the city.

"There's a tremendous consensus in the community that they really want this, that they would donate money for this," Nagel said.

Building a shelter isn't set in stone yet, that will be up for the special task force to determine. But if it is, Picken said, it will certainly lighten her load.

"This is my life right now and I love it but I don't know how much longer I can do it because of my age. So we definitely need a shelter in Bentonville," Picken said.

Oliva Nagel, the Founder of Crystal Creek Rescue, says the potential shelter may not necessarily be city funded or operated, but she has no doubt that the community will step up to fund the project in the event the special task force determines it's time to set one up.

—————-

Video . . .

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T5rgQlZzH_Q

My favorite kitty-cat song of all time . . .

“A Cat Named Sloopy” by Rod McKuen
http://www.TomandRodna.com/Songs/Rod_McKuen/A_Cat_Named_Sloopy.mp3

http://www.MoscowCares.com