[Vision2020] Caturday (April 14, 2018

Moscow Cares moscowcares at moscow.com
Sat Apr 14 05:31:02 PDT 2018

Troy (Michigan) Police Department welcomes the first member of its new Feline Unit. The new officer will be named via a contest with kids at Troy Public Schools, with Twitter users voting on the 4 finalists. Stay tuned for the 'Catty McCatface' thread on Caturday.

Courtesy of M-Live (Detroit, Michigan) at:

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2018/04/meet_the_police_cat_joining_th.html?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

——————————————-

Meet the police cat chosen for the Troy Police Department's Feline Unit

TROY, MI - The Troy Police Department has chosen its new crime fighting cat, but will have to wait a couple weeks before the kitty can join the department.

Last month, you'll recall, Troy PD put out a Twitter challenge: "If we get 10,000 followers by April, we want a police cat." It reached the goal weeks before April.

The Michigan Humane Society in Westland brought five kittens and one cat to the Troy Police Department today after narrowing down the choices based on behavior. The officer who the kitty will be living with chose one of the little kittens to be the department's crime fighting partner.

The kitten along with the four others up for adoption (pictured in the gallery at the top) all weigh about one pound. They need to be two pounds before they can leave the Humane Society, which should take a couple weeks. The officer the kitten will be living with is a cat lover who already has two adult cats at home.

So what about a name? That will be done via a contest with kids at Troy Public Schools. "We're trying to get the schools, the kids to come up with names," said Sgt. Meghan Lehman of the Troy PD. "We'll then narrow the kids' choices down to the best four and put it out on Twitter and have people vote. The kids that picked the winning name, we'll reward them with a pizza party, or something like that, with the school resource officer."

What will the cat do at the department? The whole point of getting this police cat is to bring attention to other cats and kittens in need of being rescued at shelters like the Michigan Humane Society.

The cat will also be used for community outreach purposes. Ultimately, Sgt. Lehman says she hopes the cat will be able to do a lot of community appearances and interact with people.

Sgt. Lehman also says the cat will visit the Troy Police Department to hang out with other officers. "We also will interact on social media posting tweets as the cat."

———————

Photos of . . .

———

The winner