[Vision2020] Moscow takes high school shooting threat seriously

Moscow Cares moscowcares at moscow.com
Sat Sep 16 04:14:35 PDT 2017

Courtesy of today's (September 16, 2017) Spokesman-Review.

--------------------------------
Moscow takes high school shooting threat seriously
Probe into hit list underway same day as shooting at Freeman

By Mary Stone

TRIBUNE NEWS SERVICE

Moscow Police Chief James Fry confirmed Thursday a handwritten list of 10 names under the heading “people to shoot” is part of the investigation into threats allegedly made against students at Moscow High School.

The message – on a piece of lined notebook paper – came to light after a juvenile was interviewed late Sunday night following a tip to the Moscow Police Department that lives were being threatened over the social media app Snapchat.

The investigation in Moscow was underway Wednesday when a school shooting less than 70 miles away at Freeman High School left one student dead and three injured.

“When you’ve had something like this happen here in Moscow, and then have a Freeman incident – it brings a reality to it,” Fry said.

He said he expects school resource officer Cpl. Shaine Gunderson will turn the case over to the Latah County Prosecutor’s Office with a recommendation to file charges in the next few days.

The suggested charge, Fry said, will be threatening violence on school grounds, because although the alleged threat was made via social media, it targeted students.

It will never be known with certainty whether getting law enforcement involved thwarted a school shooting in Moscow, Fry said, but he praised community members for reporting concerning behavior.

“I really do commend the people who stepped up and called us and said this doesn’t seem right,” he said. “Was this really a threat, or was this the kids saying stupid stuff? We believe that there’s enough there that it needs to be taken serious.”

Area schools officials did their best to reassure staff members and parents as details emerged about the Freeman shooting.

And in at least one school district, the incident came just days ahead of a school board conversation about arming teachers.

Lewiston High School resource officer Rob Massey said he is not surprised to hear students talking about what happened.

His approach to supporting students, Massey said, involves being a little more vigilant, but “most of all just being visible.”

Parents in the Pullman School District received a letter with a list of suggestions for supporting children and teens who had questions following the incident. The advice included limiting children’s exposure to the news, letting children talk about their concerns and discussing the events in concrete terms, without unnecessary information.

“We wanted our parents to have some tools or resources that they could access right away to engage in conversation,” Superintendent Bob Maxwell said.

School board members of the Mountain View School District will discuss the next steps Monday for a policy that allows guns in the district’s schools for security purposes, Superintendent Marcus Scheibe said.

The board approved the policy earlier this year, allowing staff members who undergo extensive training to act as armed security officers at the district’s schools in Grangeville, Kooskia and Elk City.

Scheibe said he’s curious to see if the Freeman shooting increases the urgency of getting the first staff members into the training – something he himself intends to do. “We’re not rushing into it, because we want to do it right – this is a very serious undertaking,” he said. “But at the same time if someone is coming to do harm to our students, our No. 1 response is the safety of everyone in our schools.”

The Mountain View School Board meets at 5:30 p.m. Monday at Clearwater Valley High School in Kooskia.

Lewiston Superintendent Bob Donaldson said his district updated its incident plans after a safety workshop last year. School district administrators and area law enforcement representatives heard from John-Michael Keyes, founder of the “I Love U Guys” Foundation, about the day his daughter was shot and killed at her school in Colorado and how he has since learned communities can better prepare to prevent and react to such situations.

“We developed a common language and a common way that we would respond,” Donaldson said.

Donaldson sent an email to all Lewiston School District staff members Wednesday encouraging one way to try to prevent violence.

“This tragic event should reinforce our resolve as a district to build meaningful relationships with our students as well as with each other,” Donaldson said. “The importance of building meaningful relationships can’t be overstated.”

Keeping students safe is a school’s most important job, but also one of its most difficult, said Moscow Superintendent Greg Bailey.

“Our hearts go out to Freeman – it hits home to all schools when something like this occurs,” Bailey said. “I’m sure their school, just like every other school such as ours, has done everything they can do to secure their schools and make sure kids are safe.”

Moscow High School has a newly implemented electronic door-locking system designed to limit access during all but peak times – such as before school, after school and lunch, when staff members are monitoring entrances. Visitors must press a button to buzz in at the school entrance and be admitted by office staff members. Security cameras have been installed outside the school and in hallways as well.

But keeping students safe will take more than locked doors, Bailey said.

“It’s not just a school issue,” he said. “It’s a community issue. It’s a national issue that needs to be addressed.”

That means talking to legislators about related issues, Bailey said, such as providing support and care for people with mental illnesses.

“They need to hear that that’s a very important thing to take care of,” he said.

http://www.MoscowCares.com