[Vision2020] Don't turn dreams to nightmares

Moscow Cares moscowcares at moscow.com
Thu Sep 14 00:48:03 PDT 2017

Courtesy of today's (September 14, 2017) Moscow-Pullman Daily News with thanks to Susan Ripley and Karen Lewis, co-presidents of the Moscow (the one in Idaho) League of Women Voters.

---------------------------------

Letter: Don't turn dreams to nightmares

The League of Women Voters of Moscow wholeheartedly agrees with the position statement issued by the U.S. League concerning the recent decision to reverse the Deferred Action for Child Arrivals policy created under President Barack Obama.

The statement reads in part: "Reversing the DACA policy will have a devastating impact on our economy. Ending this program will increase unemployment."

"Thousands of the Dreamers protected by DACA were brought to this country as babies and have no memories of their birth country. These individuals are paying taxes, contributing to Social Security and are Americans in everything but the name."

The more than 800,000 young people who are in the program are non-criminal undocumented immigrants. They remain pawns in an increasingly dangerous game of brinksmanship played by politicians.

The administration has tossed the issue in the lap of Congress for action within six months; something it has not been able to do for years and shows little inclination toward resolution at this time.

As co-presidents of the Moscow chapter - and speaking for it, we say it is time to strongly voice opposition to this action by contacting the Idaho congressional delegation. Contact information can be found on our website at lwvmoscow.org. Click on elected reps.

Susan Ripley, Karen Lewis
Moscow

http://www.MoscowCares.com