[Vision2020] Idaho delegation splits on hurricane relief, government funding bill

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun Sep 10 08:28:29 PDT 2017

"Sen. Jim Risch was one of 17 senators, all Republicans, voting no. . . .

. . . 1st District Rep. Raul Labrador missed the vote. But Labrador’s communications director, Todd Winer, said Friday, that Labrador 'would have voted against it.'”

Courtesy of today's (September 10, 2017) Spokesman-Review.

---------------------------------

Eye on Boise: Idaho delegation splits on hurricane relief, government funding bill

When Congress quickly and overwhelmingly passed a Hurricane Harvey relief and government funding bill late last week, it did so with the backing of only half of Idaho’s congressional delegation.

Sen. Mike Crapo voted in favor of the measure, part of a deal struck by President Trump and Democratic leaders in the House and Senate, which avoids a government shutdown and raises the debt ceiling until December. It also approves more than $15 billion in disaster relief funding largely related to Hurricane Harvey.

“Today’s bill provides a short-term response to the immediate recovery needs in Texas and Louisiana,” Crapo said in a statement. “The longer term disaster response costs caused by Hurricane Harvey must necessarily be addressed as we develop our fiscal year 2018 budget. I remain committed to developing a budget that is fiscally sound and puts us on a path to balance.”

Sen. Jim Risch was one of 17 senators, all Republicans, voting no.

Rep. Mike Simpson, of Idaho’s 2nd District, voted for the bill, while 1st District Rep. Raul Labrador missed the vote. But Labrador’s communications director, Todd Winer, said Friday, that Labrador “would have voted against it.” Labrador has long been an opponent of measures to raise the debt ceiling that aren’t tied to spending cuts.

Risch had similar concerns. “They could get his vote if they have reasonable reforms going forward that will get us off the fiscal path that we are on,” said his press secretary, Kaylin Minton. “His vote today is fully consistent with every vote he has made on debt ceilings and large spending packages in the past.”

The bill also includes a short-term extension of the National Flood Insurance Program, which was set to expire at the end of September.

http://www.MoscowCares.com