[Vision2020] You can't have it both ways

Moscow Cares moscowcares at moscow.com
Mon Sep 4 00:55:18 PDT 2017

Courtesy of today's (September 4, 2017) Moscow-Pullman Daily News with thanks to Diane Prorak.

---------------------------------

Letter: You can't have it both ways

I am pleased to ride the new bike lanes on Third Street in Moscow. The corresponding removal of some parking is essential to a safe route for bicycles. Bicycle commuters like myself use this "low cut" route from east to west for efficient travel.

However, the limited bike lanes, remaining parking and "sharrows" going west will become unsafe with additional traffic - if the proposed multi-modal bridge at Third Street and Mountain View Road is constructed.

I still have to move over and take the lane to go around parking or make turns as I bicycle on Third.

With limited traffic, and assertive cycling, that's manageable. However, with additional traffic, bicyclists will be at risk.

If the city is making Third attractive for alternative transportation, it's incompatible to add traffic. The surrounding parks, schools and neighborhoods require limited, slow traffic for safety. How will connecting Third to Mountain View improve traffic flow?

I imagine drivers envision a through street to be fast and efficient, not slowing to share lanes with bicyclists or stopping for kids crossing to Lena Whitmore Elementary School. And when the traffic backs up for the stop sign at Hayes, where will the bikes fit and how will the families cross to the park?

It seems the city council wants to promote the through street to impatient drivers but also promote safety for bikes, pedestrians and neighborhoods. I don't think it works both ways.

Thank you for the bike facilities, but don't negate them with a through road.

Diane Prorak, Moscow

http://www.MoscowCares.com