[Vision2020] "Hear My Voice: How Long Was the Fight for Women's Suffrage?"

Moscow Cares moscowcares at moscow.com
Wed Oct 11 20:33:11 PDT 2017

"Hear My Voice: How Long Was the Fight for Women's Suffrage?"

"Hear My Voice: How Long Was the Fight for Women's Suffrage?" will be presented free of charge at 7 p.m. Friday (Oct. 13) at the Moscow Unitarian Universalist Church at Second and Van Buren streets.

In the play, written by Rachel Atkins, Rachel McClinton will be portraying Jessie, a young woman growing up in Washington, D.C., who takes the torch for women’s suffrage from Susan B. Anthony and Alice Paul. While Anthony is familiar to most, McClinton also wants to highlight Paul's contributions to the movement. Paul was the leader of the National Woman's Party, and she pushed for the federal amendment to the Constitution that allows women to vote. Paul and Crystal Eastman wrote the Equal Rights Amendment in 1923, and McClinton pointed out "we're still waiting" on that.

McClinton is the co-founder and artistic director of Living Voices. She received her theater training at the State University of New York-Purchase and at Bennington College in Vermont. For two years she toured with children's theater programs, including "World of Wonder" for the Denver Natural History Museum.

Living Voices creates dynamic, interactive multi-media performances to bring life to history. Using historical perspectives based on real people and events, the Living Voices technique combines live performance with video, audio, visual aids and discussion. Living Voices brings diverse multimedia programs to schools, museums, libraries and community groups throughout the country.

An audience discussion will follow the presentation.

The program is sponsored by the League of Women Voters of Moscow, the Latah County Human Rights Task Force and the Unitarian Universalist Church of the Palouse.

http://www.MoscowCares.com