[Vision2020] Safety kicked to the curb

Moscow Cares moscowcares at moscow.com
Mon Oct 9 00:52:58 PDT 2017

Courtesy of today’s (October 9, 2017) Moscow-Pullman Daily News with thanks to Linda Moser.

Letter: Safety kicked to the curb

I am of the "noisy minority" mentioned in a recent Letter to the Editor. As a first time homebuyer on Third Street just east of Hayes, I am not here to condemn nor condone the Third Street Bridge Project.

What I am doing is questioning why I received a much-appreciated reassuring word from Walter Steed of the Moscow City Council that "traffic calming is part of the plan for the bridge," while at the Oct. 2 City Council meeting during the presentation by Les MacDonald, the suggestion to "back off" any funding and implementing of such safety measures was considered with little to no objection from the council.

My entire purpose for attending the meeting was to gain clarity and perspective about the Third Street Bridge Project in the hope of hearing that accomplishing connectivity would coincide with installing necessary safety measures. My takeaway from the meeting was that a corridor analysis from Washington Street to Mountain View would be done by city staff to assess the effects of the bridge in terms of traffic flow and safety considerations, but that any real initiative to install traffic calming measures was being kicked to the curb for reconsideration at some later date. How very disappointing.

Why, whenever this bridge comes back into focus, is the issue of public safety an afterthought rather than the first order of business? Am I missing something? Perhaps I just don't understand how the council can easily pass a budget that includes $580,000 for a bridge, but $0 for public safety in the wake of that bridge.

I left the meeting disheartened by the lack of clear answers to what I believe are important questions.

Linda Moser, Moscow

http://www.MoscowCares.com