[Vision2020] 11-16-17 The Independent: German Chancellor Angela Merkel “Climate change is by far the most significant struggle of our time.”

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Fri Nov 24 17:49:02 PST 2017

Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett
***** Original material contained herein is Copyright 2000 through life
plus 70 years, Ted Moffett.  Do not copy, forward, excerpt, or reproduce
outside the Vision2020.Moscow.com <http://vision2020.moscow.com/> forum
without the express written permission of the author.*****
----------------------------
Compare Angela Merkel to Donald Trump on intelligence and education.
Actually, this is too alarming to contemplate, given there is no comparison
that does not reveal how far Merkel outclasses Trump, the current leader of
the free world, as they say,--------------------------------------- Emmanuel
Macron vows to replace every dollar Donald Trump withdraws from climate
change efforts
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/politics/emmanuel-macron-donald-trump-climate-change-funding-france-us-paris-agreement-president-a8058436.html

French President says France will step in to maintain funding for major
international panel

Ben Kentish <http://www.independent.co.uk/author/ben-kentish>
- Thursday 16 November 2017

Emmanuel Macron has vowed to replace every dollar that is withdrawn from
the UN’s climate change programme by Donald Trump.

The French President told a UN climate summit in Bonn, Germany, that France
would step in to cover the cost of US contributions to the
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) that Mr Trump has said he
will withdraw.

“I can guarantee that, starting in 2018, the IPCC will have all the money
it needs and will continue to support our decision-making,” he said. “It
will not miss a single euro.”

“We need scientific information that is constantly nourished to ensure
clear decision making. The IPCC is one of the major components of this work.

“However, it is threatened today by the decision of the US not to guarantee
funding for it. Therefore, I propose that the EU replaces the USA, and
France will meet that challenge.”

The US currently contributes around €2 million (£1.8 million) a year to the
IPCC.

However, Mr Trump has pledged to pull the US out of the 2015 Paris
Agreement and other international climate change initiatives. He also plans
to promote coal and other fossil fuel industries.

In his speech, Mr Macron also called for an EU tariff on goods imported
from countries or companies that do not share its climate goals, and
pledged to work to raise the cost of carbon within the EU to €30 a tonne.
The French President is hosting a conference in Paris next month on the
issue of climate finance.

Representatives from almost 200 countries are currently meeting at the 23rd
Conference of the Parties (COP23) summit in Bonn, where discussions are
focusing on how the Paris Agreement should be implemented.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel also addressed the summit, telling
delegates: “Climate change is by far the most significant struggle of our
time.”

She praised a group of US states, cities and companies, called “America’s
Pledge”, that have vowed to continue tackling climate change despite Mr
Trump’s stance.

“I welcome this as it highlights the importance of climate protection in
large parts of the US regardless of the decision by President Trump to
leave the Paris accord”, Ms Merkel said.

However, her speech was criticised by some Green MPs in Germany for not
going far enough. Ms Merkel is currently in the middle of delicate
negotiations with the party about entering into a governing coalition with
her Christian Democratic party.