[Vision2020] Religious obligations of hospitality

Moscow Cares moscowcares at moscow.com
Tue Nov 7 02:52:04 PST 2017

As I read once . . . “A stranger is merely a friend you don’t know.”

Keep hope alive, V-Peeps.

Courtesy of today’s (November 7, 2017) Moscow-Pullman Daily News with thanks to the many co-signers of this letter.

———————————————

Letter: Religious obligations of hospitality

As members of local faith-based communities, we stand firmly with those requesting sanctuary in this country from religious, economic, environmental and gender-based oppression. We are saddened to see the repeal of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program looming. Although some efforts are underway to create legislation to replace DACA, we are concerned that this legislation, which previously proved impossible to develop, will not be ready by the six month deadline set by President Trump. We question why President Trump thinks bipartisan Congressional legislation, never possible before, will replace protections under DACA. We stand with DACA recipients, their families and all members of our communities, regardless of their status in this country.

Across the U.S. communities are realizing the inestimable value of the contributions made by undocumented persons. From farmers realizing crops may go unpicked, to service industries worried about staffing, to the classrooms many of us teach in, preparing future educators, engineers and other professionals, the worry and terrors caused by the economic, social and cultural impacts of deportations, roundups and family separations are real.

In the Christian tradition, the apostle Matthew (chapter 25) reminds us to invite the stranger in. In the Jewish tradition, Leviticus (chapter 19) reminds us the foreigner among us should be "like a native" to us. In the Islamic tradition, the Quran reminds us to do good to those from other countries (An-Nisaa' 4:36). In the Bahai tradition, the writings of Abdul Baha remind us to regard those from other countries as intimates and strangers as companions.

Who are we to do less than what our religious traditions have instructed us to do?

We ask local faith-based communities to discern how we can, working together, reach out to those in need of sanctuary, to offer what our faiths tell us clearly is our obligation.

Rula Awwad-Rafferty
Muslim and Interfaith communities
The Rev. Robin Biffle
St. Mark's Episcopal Church
The Rev. Elizabeth Stevens
Fran and Frank Rodriguez
Pat Rathmann
Unitarian Universalist Church of the Palouse
Moscow

Mohammed Riajul Islam
Robert Eddy
Pullman Islamic Center
Larry Fox
Jewish Community of the Palouse
The Rev. Shane Moore
Simpson United Methodist Church
The Rev. Steven Van Kuiken,
United Church of Christ, Congregational
Francy Pavlas Bose
Social Justice Ministry
The Rev. Linda M. Young
Dianne Lowe
Patrick Siler
Elizabeth Siler
St. James Episcopal Church
Pullman

To all refugees and immigrants, Moscow Cares says . . .

http://www.moscowcares.com/To_All_Refugees_and_Immigrants.jpg

"Moscow Cares"
http://www.MoscowCares.com