[Vision2020] Doug Wilson and slavery

Moscow Cares moscowcares at moscow.com
Fri May 5 01:06:45 PDT 2017

Courtesy of today's (May 5, 2017) Moscow-Pullman Daily News with thanks to Steve Wells.

---------------------------------

Letter: Doug Wilson and slavery

It's great to hear Doug Wilson (His View, May 3) assure us (once again) that he no longer approves of slavery; that he no longer wants to impose biblical law, including Leviticus 20:13, throughout the Palouse; and that his desired "takeover" of Moscow and Pullman is spiritual rather than actual.

It's a bit disconcerting, however, to hear him say that he has "never been pro-slavery" since he has written two booklets and many articles defending a Christian's right to own slaves.

Here, for example, is what he said in 2005 in a Credenda Agenda blog article entitled "So Why Are We Writing About This?"

"[N]othing is clearer - the New Testament opposes anything like the abolitionism of our country prior to the War Between the States. The New Testament contains many instructions for Christian slave owners, and requires a respectful submissive demeanor for Christian slaves.

"The reason why many Christians will be tempted to dismiss the arguments presented here is that we have said (out loud) that a godly man could have been a slave owner.

"Slavery is a wonderful issue upon which to practice. Our humanistic and democratic culture regards slavery in itself as a monstrous evil, and acts as though this were self-evidently true. The Bible permits Christians to own slaves, provided they are treated well. You are a Christian. Whom do you believe?"

So which Doug Wilson should we believe? The one who talked (out loud) about the "wonderful issue" of slavery and defended a Christian's right to own slaves, or the one who agrees with "our humanistic and democratic culture" that slavery is "a monstrous evil?"

If Doug Wilson has changed his mind on slavery, that's great. Let's welcome him as our newest convert to our humanistic and democratic culture.

Let's say, Welcome home, Doug.

Steve Wells
Moscow

http://www.MoscowCares.com