[Vision2020] Canada at 150 celebrates its liberal values, triumphs

Nicholas Gier ngier006 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 16:51:41 PDT 2017

Hi Tom,

Thanks for posting my column.  The full version is attached.  It will be
published in the Idaho State Journal in Pocatello on Sunday.

As a teaser, I give this staggering statistic:

In 2016 15,063 Americans were killed by a fire arm with 3,795 of those
being children from ages 1-17.  In 2015 the number for gun deaths in Canada
was 178, which adjusted for population would be 1,575. The cultures are not
that different such that the NRA could claim that North Americans below the
border are distinctive human beings. We came from the same European stock
with the same religions, and we faced the same frontier wilderness and
indigenous peoples.

--

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they
shall never sit in.

-Greek proverb

“Enlightenment is man’s emergence from his self-imposed immaturity.
Immaturity is the inability to use one’s understanding without guidance
from another. This immaturity is self- imposed when its cause lies not in
lack of understanding, but in lack of resolve and courage to use it without
guidance from another. Sapere Aude! ‘Have courage to use your own
understand-ing!—that is the motto of enlightenment.

--Immanuel Kant