[Vision2020] Conservative Commentator Hewitt: Trump on 'constitutional thin ice, ' could face impeachment

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 22:19:19 PST 2017

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/315991-hugh-hewitt-says-trump-could-be-impeachedHewitt:
Trump on 'constitutional thin ice,' could face impeachment
By Paulina Firozi - 01/24/17 08:43 PM EST

Conservative radio host Hugh Hewitt said Tuesday he thinks President Trump
is on "constitutional thin ice" and could face impeachment if Democrats
regain control of the House in 2018.

"President Trump has to be aware of the constitutional thin ice on which he
skates," Hewitt said during an interview with Yahoo anchor Katie Couric,
referring to allegations of conflicts of interest that have already dogged
Trump in his first few days in office.

“I think it would occur after midterms and only if the House flips to the
Democrats. So the potential is there, yes,” Hewitt said.

Trump has faced questions about potential conflicts of interest, including
over his hotel in Washington, D.C.

The watchdog group Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington sent
a letter
<http://thehill.com/business-a-lobbying/business-a-lobbying/315294-watchdog-group-trump-in-violation-of-lease-agreement>
to the General Services Administration after Trump was sworn in citing
concerns that Trump's hotel was in violation of its lease with the
government and could also violate the emoluments clause of the Constitution
that prevents foreign leaders from giving gifts to government officials.

“If you abuse power, if you do anything — you don’t have a lot of goodwill
in the reservoir," Hewitt said.

"He’s beginning his presidency successfully in my view with a few very bold
initiatives, but with the highest negatives of any incoming president since
Gallup kept track. That says to me: thin ice, move carefully.”

Hewitt noted that many of Trump's detractors are not likely to be convinced
that Trump is "a good man."

"When half a million people showed up at the mall, they can’t be assuaged,"
Hewitt said, citing the Women's March on Washington the day after Trump's
inauguration.

"There were 600 marches around the country. They don’t care about conflicts
— they will never be persuaded he’s a good man. The only way Trump expands
his base is to do thing. Build things, get things done."

"If he does things that moves to the middle, people will forget these
conflicts," Hewitt suggested.