[Vision2020] Dead animal left on sorority doorstep

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Wed Jan 25 07:34:07 PST 2017

On 1/25/2017 12:34 AM, Saundra Lund wrote:

> Visionaries:
>
> It's deeply concerning to me there are one or more seriously disturbed
> individuals on the University of Idaho campus capable of this deranged
> act L I think it's pretty safe to say the perpetrator(s) is male, and
> if a guy will do something this twisted, what else will he do to
> terrorize a house full of young women?!

I suggest a little hesitation before jumping to the conclusion that the
prime instigator is a full-blown psycho with movie-magnitude motives.
This isn't thoroughbred heads under the bed sheets, which would require
lots of rational planning and coordinated effort. This may be a crime of
opportunity the results of which look worse than what motivated it.  For
example, the animal might be random road kill sighted and retrieved en
route from an off-campus alcohol consumption gathering, which was
followed by one of the participants inebriatedly deciding "I know just
who needs this message, which will tell her just how I feel about her
rejection of me.  She lives at Delta Zeta, so let's drop this carcass
off there."

I'm not justifying or condoning this action, merely suggesting it may
not be as evil as it appears.

> No report yet of how the perpetrator(s) killed the coyote before
> leaving it on the sorority's porch :-(

If someone did do the planned work of hunting, killing, and retrieving
the animal for this purpose, I would be more concerned than if the
action was motivated by a randomly appearing opportunity of access to
the animal carcass.

> If I had a daughter living in *any* sorority house on campus, she'd be
> out of there before the sun set again and wouldn't be back until the
> twisted miscreant(s) responsible is caught *and* held responsible in a
> *meaningful* way.

While I am certainly not questioning your parental empathy for this
situation, it may not be as dangerous or as dire as it first appears.
After all, this is not the appearance of a Voldemortian Dark Mark over
the sorority house, with Hogwarts administrators fearfully discussing
whether they may have to shut down the school in accession to parental
demands.  And, from the point of view of some of the young women
affected by the incident, they may consider themselves in the role of
Dorothy Devine, Debutante Detective, wanting to follow in the footsteps
of former mistresses of mystery, Miss Jane Marple, for instance, to
observe and assist in the solution of the mystery.  Being ordered home
by an animatedly active parent scotchs the exciting opportunity for
detection and discovery, which may be more interesting than one or more
lectures or labs.

Ken