[Vision2020] Pullman City Council urged to act against immigration bans

Moscow Cares moscowcares at moscow.com
Wed Feb 1 01:18:59 PST 2017

Perhaps the Moscow City Council could also take a stand against President Trump's immigration ban.  Such action by our city council would strengthen the bond between the city of Moscow and the University of Idaho student body.

Courtesy of today's (February 1, 2017) Lewiston Tribune.

---------------------------------

Pullman City Council urged to act against immigration bans

By CHELSEA EMBREE of the Tribune
PULLMAN - The city council chambers were packed to standing room only Tuesday night as two community members spoke against immigration bans issued by President Donald Trump.

The two urged action from the Pullman City Council regarding the orders, which ban travel from seven predominantly Muslim countries and suspend refugee admissions. No action was taken on the public comment items, but the council discussed immigration later Tuesday as part of a list of priorities for local state representatives to consider.

Keyla Palominos, who described herself as an "undocumented" student at Washington State University, said the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals policy signed by President Barack Obama protects her from deportation and makes her eligible to work in the United States. That could be taken away with one signature by Trump, she said. And while Trump's immigration order doesn't affect her directly, she felt compelled to speak out against it.

"There are steps the city of Pullman can take to protect immigrant communities," Palominos said. "The first step is to ensure the local law enforcement does not cooperate with federal immigration services."

Palominos also asked the council to "stand in solidarity" with the Muslim community and oppose a faith-based registry.

Though the council does not take action on public comments, Mayor Glenn Johnson said Pullman has a "safe" and "very diverse" community.

"This is a community that we want to support our residents," he said.

Eric Fejeran, chairman of the Whitman County Democrats, asked the council to designate Pullman as a sanctuary city.

"Issue and broadly publicize a statement welcoming all from around the world to come and live in our beautiful, welcoming city," he suggested to the council.

Councilor Nathan Weller noted that he and Johnson have spoken at the Pullman Islamic Center, and that they take related issues "extremely seriously."

"It's encouraging to see so many people coming in solidarity and support," Weller said.

Later Tuesday, Weller suggested to the council that immigration issues be considered for the city's list of priorities for state legislators.

"This is going to affect our community," Weller said. "I know several Sudanese researchers up at WSU. This is something that is extremely important for us to continue to look at."

Johnson said after Tuesday's meeting that the federal legislative committee of the Association of Washington Cities, of which he is a member, later this week will discuss a broader policy request to promote diversity in Washington cities. The proposal includes a call to respect the perspectives and beliefs of all Washington citizens.

Immigration will be one of many items included on the draft list of legislative priorities that the council will vote to adopt as early as next week.

Seeya at the rally in East City Park on Saturday, Moscow, because . . .

http://www.MoscowCares.com