[Vision2020] Convenience or community?

Moscow Cares moscowcares at moscow.com
Tue Aug 29 00:38:10 PDT 2017

Courtesy of today's (August 29, 2017) Moscow-Pullman Daily News with thanks to Cody Moore.

---------------------------------

Letter: Convenience or community?

My family lives east of Mountain View Road. We depend on and pay attention to issues with east-west connective access in town. We do not live on Third Street.

We do not think that a multi-modal bridge is necessary on Third Street. We have had no issue with the existing routes. Sure, it would be more convenient to be able to take Third Street all the way through to Mountain View, but this is not enough of a reason to alter important aspects of our town in this case.

Convenience by itself is an overrated ideal. For instance, Main Streets, in general, are not convenient. They are marred in traffic congestion, parking can be difficult, and the businesses do not usually offer the cheapest prices for what they offer. But, they offer vibrancy, character and soul to the community. Third Street is similar. It does not offer a direct route across town by vehicle, but it does offer a safe road next to Moscow's greatest park and through the town's centerpiece neighborhood, not to mention the most reasonable, safe and accessible bicycle route for many east-west bicyclists.

Adding a multi-modal bridge will make it so convenient (I would sure be tempted) for most drivers that Third Street will become busier. This will take away from our most historic neighborhood, make Moscow a less bicycle-friendly place and ultimately alter our town's unique character.

Part of Moscow's charm and allure is that it places great value on community-mindedness and thoughtfulness. The preservation of our historic neighborhoods, the encouragement of bicycling for transportation and leisure are all part of this, and these values should not be taken lightly.

The multi-modal bridge is not in line with these values. It is born of convenience, not necessity.

Cody Moore, Moscow

http://www.MoscowCares.com