[Vision2020] Conspiracies, racism and Idaho's elected representatives

Moscow Cares moscowcares at moscow.com
Sat Aug 26 02:11:54 PDT 2017

Esto Perpetua

Courtesy of the Opinion section of today's (August 26, 2017) Moscow-Pullman Daily News.

---------------------------------

Our View: Conspiracies, racism and Idaho's elected representatives
By Anthony Kuipers, for the editorial board
Being informed is the best way to make important decisions.

Our elected representatives are given power by the people to make important decisions. Therefore, it is in our best interest that they get the best information possible.

It's a simple concept.

Unfortunately, at least two of our Idaho representatives get their information from sources that can be described as, at best, shady, and, at worst, downright scary.

State Rep. Bryan Zollinger, R-Idaho Falls, recently posted on Facebook a conspiracy theory article from a far-right website called The American Thinker. It theorizes that the deadly events during the Charlottesville, Va., rally may have been organized by former President Barack Obama, billionaire George Soros or Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe in order to undermine President Donald Trump.

In his Facebook post, Zollinger writes, "I am not saying it is true, but I'm suggesting that it is completely plausible."

Several donors have promised Zollinger that they would contribute to his re-election for every tweet, Facebook comment and email that criticized his post.

In related news, Rep. Heather Scott posted an article on her Facebook page from The Common Sense Show that defends white nationalists and differentiates them from white supremacists.

The Spokesman-Review reported on this and quoted University of Idaho sociology professor Kristin Haltinner, who said that a white nationalist is someone who believes in the superiority of white people and a white homeland. So, yeah, there's no difference there.

To recap: We have one Idaho representative who believes the former president could be responsible for the death of an innocent woman in order to undermine our current president. We have another who believes there's nothing wrong with white nationalism.

Once again, conspiracy theories and obscure websites have become the primary source of information for our elected leaders rather than rational ideas and actual facts.

Voters need to take these incidents seriously, for they reveal how gullible our elected representatives can be when presented with misinformation. It's more than a Facebook post. It's insight into the unfortunate attitudes and perspectives they possess.

http://www.MoscowCares.com