[Vision2020] FW: Resist Nestlé's agenda in our national parks!

Andy Boyd moscowrecycling at turbonet.com
Wed Aug 23 10:25:00 PDT 2017

Andy Boyd

From: Miranda Fox, The Story of Stuff Project [mailto:inbox at storyofstuff.org]
Sent: Wednesday, August 23, 2017 7:14 AM
To: Andy Boyd <moscowrecycling at turbonet.com>
Subject: Resist Nestlé's agenda in our national parks!

  <http://storyofstuff.org/wp-content/themes/stuff/img/logo.png>

Dear Andy,

Our national parks are some of our greatest treasures and shouldn't promote plastic waste or water commodification.

Ask Our National Park Superintendents To Stay Bottled Water Free!

 <http://action.storyofstuff.org/letter/bottled-water-free-letter-nps-superintendents/?utm_source=storyofstuffletter&utm_medium=email&t=2&akid=7940%2E118398%2E0i0mU0> SIGN HERE!

For years, national parks across the country have phased out the sale of bottled water and installed hydration stations -- an alternative that reduces plastic waste in some of our most cherished outdoor spaces and encourages the use of public tap water.

Last week, the Department of the Interior rescinded the National Park Service policy1 encouraging national parks to go bottled water free. But we're asking each park superintendent to stay the course. <http://action.storyofstuff.org/letter/bottled-water-free-letter-nps-superintendents/?utm_source=storyofstuffletter&utm_medium=email&t=3&akid=7940%2E118398%2E0i0mU0>  Not only does this promote free access to tap water, it prevents thousands of water bottles from becoming plastic waste.

  <https://s3.amazonaws.com/sosactionkit2/images/wildflowers-yellowstone_jacob_w_frank-nps.jpg> (Wildflowers near Dunraven Pass, Yellowstone National Park / National Parks Service)

This happened just weeks after the Trump administration appointed David Bernhardt as Deputy Secretary of the Interior, formerly an attorney at a law firm with deep ties to Nestlé. This water-bottling giant and its friends have pushed to stop parks from going bottled water free for years. This is just one more extreme example of corporations wielding their power to protect profits at the expense of people and the planet.

But this does not mean we have reached the end of the line for parks eliminating bottled water and increasing access to the tap.

Send this message to our national park superintendents across the country. <http://action.storyofstuff.org/letter/bottled-water-free-letter-nps-superintendents/?utm_source=storyofstuffletter&utm_medium=email&t=4&akid=7940%2E118398%2E0i0mU0>  We're asking them to resist the bottled water industry's profit-driven agenda and continue to make their parks bottled water free.

These are our parks. We must make it clear that water, like our national parks, is a public good, not a commodity. Thank you for standing up for our public lands and water!

Sincerely,

Miranda Fox, on behalf of The Story of Stuff team

1. PDF link to Policy Memorandum 11-03 <https://action.storyofstuff.org/go/1015?t=5&akid=7940%2E118398%2E0i0mU0>  regarding Disposable Plastic Water Bottling Recycling and Reduction

  <https://action.storyofstuff.org/o.gif?akid=7940.118398.0i0mU0>

  <http://track.sp.actionkit.com/q/DiCV18RX-63bbyH21D001w~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRbfsE4PkEIAKzFuiKJkZZXBHdhd2RYBAAAAABCCgACuI2dWSCuKYZSHG1vc2Nvd3JlY3ljbGluZ0B0dXJib25ldC5jb20JUQQAAAAAR0N7ImFraWQiOiJ1bnN1Yi1zdG9yeW9mc3R1ZmYtNzk0MC0xMTgzOTguV0dpLTJVeEBmYmwuYWN0aW9ua2l0LmNvbSJ9>