[Vision2020] Cascade, Idaho Solar Eclipse Traffic Jam Hype!

Ron Force ronforce at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 17:15:38 PDT 2017

Right you are, the experience varied from predictions, and it may have
scared away potential travelers.

Betsy Russell's (Eye on Boise) had a good trip up, and then:

The eclipse viewing experience was so cool! And afterward, we visited with
folks, hung around, jumped off the diving board and swam in the cool waters
of the Henry's Fork, then had a great picnic lunch. Around 3:30, we left
for the 60-mile jaunt back north to our campground at Henry's Lake State
Park. Initially, traffic was at a crawl, but still mostly moving. Then,
north of Ashton, it came to a standstill, and we traveled all of 12 miles
in an hour. We're still on the road, stopped again, at Mile Marker 372.
We've now been on the road nearly three hours and are still 15 miles south
of Island Park; we've got more than 30 miles to go..

Tried to check the ITD app to see what was up, but they had no info...

Wrapping up quite a day…

   -  Twitter
   <https://twitter.com/share?text=Wrapping%20up%20quite%20a%20day...&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spokesman.com/blogs/boise/2017/aug/21/wrapping-quite-day/>
   -  Facebook
   <https://www.facebook.com/dialog/feed?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spokesman.com/blogs/boise/2017/aug/21/wrapping-quite-day/&app_id=316254480466&redirect_uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spokesman.com/blogs/boise/2017/aug/21/wrapping-quite-day/&caption=Wrapping%20up%20quite%20a%20day...>
   -  Reddit
   <http://www.reddit.com/submit?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spokesman.com/blogs/boise/2017/aug/21/wrapping-quite-day/&title=Wrapping%20up%20quite%20a%20day...>

[image: This bottle of Total Eclipse Oregon Pinot Noir awaited us after a
long trek up post-eclipse gridlocked roads in eastern Idaho back to our
campsite on Monday, Aug. 21, 2017. (Betsy Z. Russell)]
<http://media.spokesman.com/photos/2017/08/21/wine.JPG>This bottle of Total
Eclipse Oregon Pinot Noir awaited us after a long trek up post-eclipse
gridlocked roads in eastern Idaho back to our campsite on Monday, Aug. 21,
2017. (Betsy Z. Russell)

Wow – four hours and 45 minutes. That’s how long it took us to drive the 60
miles back north from St. Anthony to Henry’s Lake State Park this afternoon
and evening after the eclipse, all stop-and-go, with plenty of stop. That
part was pretty awful. But now we’re here, and this bottle of Total Eclipse
Oregon Pinot Noir awaits us. It’s been quite a day!

Ron Force
Moscow Idaho USA