[Vision2020] Our country

Moscow Cares moscowcares at moscow.com
Mon Aug 21 12:25:29 PDT 2017

Courtesy of today's (August 21, 2017) Moscow-Pullman Daily News with thanks to Jack Porter.

---------------------------------

Letter: Our country

Moscow City Council members like to say we have a bicycle-friendly city, but when a hard choice comes along, their actions say otherwise.

Anyone who actually rides a bike from Friendship Square to East City Park understands our natural topography makes Third Street the only realistic route. Everything else north of Eighth Street is too steep, except for athletes. Motorists can drive a few blocks north or south to other streets, but bicyclists have nowhere else to go.

"Share the road" sounds nice, but cars, bikes, pedestrians, trucks, wheelchairs and kids make a bad combination if too many are squeezed into too small a space. Crossing Third is already hazardous at times, and the council has decided to make it worse by building that "multimodal" bridge to Mountain View Road.

The city should be looking for ways to have fewer cars and trucks on this unique bike-pedestrian corridor, not thousands more.

I live almost a mile from the bridge site, but I'm one of the many victims of this short-sighted decision. The Third Street bike-ped corridor serves an area much larger than just that neighborhood.

Is it too much to hope some new council members will reconsider this decision next year, before the money is spent?

Jack R. Porter
Moscow

http://www.MoscowCares.com