[Vision2020] Chomsky Bombshell: US Rejected N. Korean Peace Offer

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Tue Aug 15 15:33:54 PDT 2017

Chomsky Bombshell: US Rejected N. Korean Peace Offer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRwf0qdy_S8

Published 12 August 2017  Time Length: 8:06

Background information from sixteen months ago:

Obama rejects North Korea's nuclear offer: 'You'll have to do better
than that'

President says it will continue to stress ties to Japan and the South
until North gets more serious about denuclearization than talk ‘based on
a press release’

Barack Obama <https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/barack-obama> said on
Sunday that he does not believe North Korea is sincere in its offer to
halt nuclear tests if the US suspends military exercises with South
Korea, and that Pyongyang would “have to do better than that”.

On Saturday, North Korea’s foreign minister, Ri Su Yong, defended his
country’s right to maintain a nuclear deterrent
<https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/apr/23/north-korea-launched-offshore-ballistic-missile-says-the-south>
and warned that Pyongyang won’t be cowed by international sanctions. He
also said the North’s regime would not soon collapse.

“Stop the nuclear war exercises in the Korean peninsula, then we should
also cease our nuclear tests,” he said.

Obama dismissed North Korea’s latest overture at a news conference
Sunday with the German chancellor, Angela Merkel, in Hannover, Germany.

“We don’t take seriously a promise to simply halt until the next time
they decide to do a test these kinds of activities,” the president said.

“What we’ve said consistently,” he continued, “is that if North Korea
<https://www.theguardian.com/world/north-korea> shows seriousness in
denuclearizing the Korean peninsula, then we’ll be prepared to enter
into some serious conversations with them about reducing tensions and
our approach to protecting our allies in the region.

“But that’s not something that happens based on a press release in the
wake of a series of provocative behaviors. They’re going to have to do
better than that.”

Obama also said that until North Korea offers a “better” proposal, the
US will continue to “emphasize our work with the Republic of Korea and
Japan, and our missile defense mechanisms, to ensure that we’re keeping
the American people safe and we’re keeping our allies safe”.

Ri’s made his remarks just hours after North Korea test-fired a
ballistic missile from a submarine in its latest show of defiance as
this year’s US-South Korea exercises wind down. “The escalation of this
military exercise level has reached its top level,” he said. “As the
other side is going for the climax why not us, too, to that level as well?”

The US state department said that in response to Saturday’s launch, it
would limit the travel of Ri and his delegation to UN functions in New
York, where they are attending a meeting on sustainable development.
“Launches using ballistic missile technology are a clear violation of
multiple UN Security Council resolutions,” it said in a statement.

Ri suggested on Saturday that if Washington and Seoul suspended military
exercises, it could open the door to talks and reduced tensions.

“If we continue on this path of confrontation, this will lead to very
catastrophic results, not only for the two countries but for the whole
entire world as well,” he said.

“It is really crucial for the United States government to withdraw its
hostile policy against the DPRK and as an expression of this stop the
military exercises, war exercises, in the Korean Peninsula. Then we will
respond likewise.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/apr/24/obama-response-north-korea-nuclear-tests-deal

Article published: Sunday 24 April 2016 15.17 EDT

Ken