[Vision2020] UI Backs Off From $4 million for Athletics

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 22:28:39 PDT 2017

I suppose this is obvious, but the issue of athletics generating revenue or
not, vs. academic funding or the lack thereof,  given a limited budget, is
a distraction from the critical priority of generous funding of
higher education from state and/or federal sources.  This should be a
fundamental value in a civilized humane democracy, as essential as military
spending on the so called "Department of Defense" (more accurately termed
"Department of War").
https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2014-09-19/bring-back-the-department-of-war

Athletics should not displace academics as critical to a university,
right?  If a choice has to be made between the two, academics comes first.
But in our sports obsessed culture, many appear to think otherwise.
And athletics as a profit generating activity for higher education should *not
have to be relied upon *to fund academics:  Having wrote that, I think
funding for college athletics should also be generously supported, but not
pursued cynically as a profit generating cash cow, as it is at some
universities, where the athletes are exploited by the universities and NCAA.

A well educated electorate is absolutely necessary for a democracy to
function as intended, or the nation can fall prey to the manipulations of
political charlatans and demagogues.
The election 2017 hammered this point home:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/education-not-income-predicted-who-would-vote-for-trump/

Nov. 22, 2016 at 2:53 PM
Education, Not Income, Predicted Who Would Vote For Trump

By Nate Silver <http://fivethirtyeight.com/contributors/nate-silver/>

Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett

Dr. Gier,