[Vision2020] Change.org Petition: "University of Idaho: Stop Trapping and Killing Free Roaming Cats"

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 20:16:15 PDT 2016

Perhaps this information is old news to the Vision2020 list... But just in
case not...

Some on this list have taken serious issue with the U of I on this...

At the Moscow Food CO-OP today on the outside public bulletin board was a
colored flyer with a picture of a cat, with the word "Vermin?" in big
letters, containing a brief comment on the U of I's recently publicly
revealed cat trapping and killing (euthanize is such a pathetic euphemism)
program, ostensibly for so called "feral" cats.

I am not taking sides on this issue, but merely forwarding this information.

Anyway, the flyer indicated to visit Change.org, and the search revealed
the following:

https://www.change.org/p/stop-trapping-and-killing-free-roaming-cats

University of Idaho: Stop Trapping and Killing Free Roaming Cats

*Blaine O'Day* Moscow, ID

As was recently reported in the Moscow-Pullman Daily News, the University
of Idaho is trapping cats around campus, having them evaluated by the
campus veterinarian, and, depending on the cat's behavior, killed via gas
chamber. Few cats are likely to survive such an evaluation since even pet
cats will often act “feral” under such circumstances. And because many
students have pet cats on campus, it’s likely these cats will be part of
the roundup. Kittens that could easily have been removed and adopted out by
the Humane Society of the Palouse have already lost their lives. These
lethal roundups are inhumane and barbaric, and an exercise in futility.
Even if the administration is successful in eradicating cats from our
campus, it will only be temporarily. It’s only a matter of time before more
cats turn up—unsterilized and unvaccinated—initiating the cycle once again.
Hundreds of communities across the country have now adopted
trap-neuter-return (TNR) programs, in which community cats are humanely
trapped, sterilized, vaccinated, ear-tipped, and returned to their colony.
Kittens that can be socialized can be adopted into homes. Grounded in
science, TNR stops the breeding cycle, thereby improving the lives of
community cats—and the communities in which they live. The administration’s
lethal roundups do not reflect our values as a University and a community.
Let's change the way our community treats our "community cats" by demanding
that the University of Idaho immediately stop all trapping and gassing, and
instead work with area organizations to address this issue humanely

*Blaine O'Day* started this petition with a single signature, and now has
10,224 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about