[Vision2020] Obituary for Charley Rice, Buffalo Free Press staff on 9-15-70 Edition

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 19:55:05 PDT 2016

I recall Charley Rice indicating you were somehow involved in supervising
his Master's thesis in History at the U of I?  My memory may be incorrect...
I met Charley Rice in the fall of 1969 in Graham Hall dorm, Wallace
Complex, at the U of I.  I won't even start to describe the subsequent
related history, given it is probably beyond my capacity as a writer, and
even if not, would take a novel to elucidate...

However, one clue:  Charley called me one night out of the blue many years
later after a long period of not being in contact to passionately recommend
I read Peter Matthiessen's book "The Snow Leopard," which I had not at that
point in time.  It remains one of the most remarkable,
transformational books I have ever read.

Those with a deep appreciation for and understanding of this book might not
need to be told what is implied in a spirited
enthusiastic recommendation of this book between friends.
Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett