[Vision2020] CJ's exterior wall art

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Tue Sep 13 21:11:00 PDT 2016

First, the literal truth: Nowhere in the Argonaut's 13 September 2016
front-page article does the word-for-word phrase "going out of business"
appear.

However, one of the useful, interesting, and occasionally amazing
features of the English language is its ability to use different words,
or different strings of words, to indicate the same, or very similar,
ideas, concepts, or understandings.  For example, on the front page,
above the fold, under a page-wide photograph with the paper's masthead
superimposed, is the caption "CJ's Nightclub, a popular spot for swing
dancing, closed in August after 19 years of serving the community of the
Palouse in downtown Moscow."  Under a page-wide headline, and above the
author's by-line, is the heading "CJ's Nightclub closes its doors."

The caption and the heading do not indicate "closed until next evening"
or "closed for remodeling" or some other phrase that implies after the
passage of a period of time, that a reopening will occur.  The phases
"closed . . . after 19 years" and ". . . closes its doors" imply a
closing after which there will be no re-opening. The clear implication
is that CJ's Nightclub, as a business, is gone forever.  Another way of
stating the same idea is to say "CJ's is going out of business."
Actually, to be a bit more precise about it, since the closing occurred
in August, and it is now September, the verb should be in the past
tense: "CJ's went out of business" or "CJ's has gone out of business."

Now, if CJ's Nightclub, as a business, is, in fact, going to be
reopened, that's a different matter.  That's news.  That's the opposite
of what was reported today.

The closing of a particular business does not imply anything about the
physical building within which the business operated.  That same
building might soon house some other business, either of a similar type
or something entirely different.  Perhaps a similar business named The
Lazarus Lounge will arise in the same space. Or maybe a Millennial
Market will cater to the special needs of newer area residents, or
another incarnation of Nature's Nostrums, or Outrageous Others, or yet
some other awful alliteration.  As it stands now, CJ's, as a particular
business, conducting its unique blend of activities, is gone.

That does not imply that the owners of the building are gone, or that
they won't find some interesting and successful successor activity for
the physical space that used to house CJ's Nightclub, which is now
closed, and out of business.  But those owners were not the subject of
the sentence indicating that CJ's is out of business.  CJ's may be gone,
but the building owners are not.  Two different ideas requiring the
compositional clarity of two (or more) different sentences.

Ken