[Vision2020] Triple murderer wants to take back pleas

Saundra Lund v2020 at ssl1.fastmail.fm
Tue Oct 25 13:20:22 PDT 2016

While I understand the sentiment, I completely disagree.  Serious mental illness is a terrible thing, and the fact that Idaho doesn’t have an insanity defense makes me ashamed of my state.

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/08/05/487909967/with-no-insanity-defense-seriously-ill-people-end-up-in-prison

“Because Idaho has no insanity defense, defendants with mental illness typically plead guilty to lesser charges and rely on judges to take mental health into account at sentencing. Some lawyers and psychiatrists say this doesn't provide enough protection against the death penalty or long incarceration. As professor Aliza Cover <https://www.uidaho.edu/law/people/faculty/alizac>  of the University of Idaho Law School explains, "In Idaho, you have the unusual circumstance that someone who couldn't even be convicted in another state could be executed."

Saundra Lund

Moscow, ID

Compassion is the basis of all morality.

~ Arthur Schopenhuaer