[Vision2020] Growth balanced with livability

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Wed Oct 19 01:37:52 PDT 2016

Courtesy of today's (October 19, 2016) Moscow-Pullman Daily News with special thanks to Joann Muneta.

Letter: Growth balanced with livability

In reference to Walter Steed's Oct. 6 letter, I want to affirm that all of the figures I quoted on Sept. 26 were from city of Moscow sources including traffic counts and the cost of a motor bridge at Third Street. The TIGER 8 grant request to the U.S. Department of Transportation lists costs of new bridges at Third Street and Sixth Street at over $4 million in one place, Page 17, and $1 million each in another, Page 127. The estimate of $70,000 for a pedestrian/bicycle/handicap access bridge was established in 2007 when this was approved by the city. Funds for the project remain on the capital improvement list. We welcome and are asking for the city to work with citizens to develop a plan for this safety crossing so we can proceed with raising money through our nonprofit corporation.

I am surprised Mr. Steed implies I oppose growth and change. I have lived in Moscow over 50 years and have observed that growth can provide exciting new energy, possibilities and perspectives. But the genius of Moscow is that growth is balanced with maintaining our "small town charm" and livability. This is due in large part to the willingness of citizens to speak up and organize to protect our quality of life. Many community resources we boast about came from citizen initiatives, often combined with city cooperation. This includes our city hall, formerly the 1910 Federal Building; the 1912 Center; the Carnegie Library expansion; the stage in East City Park; Rendezvous and Renaissance fairs; the Latah Trail; and, yes, our famous Moscow Farmers Market.

If citizens and city work together we can develop ways to move traffic east-west without threatening existing neighborhoods, schools and parks. A pedestrian crossing at Third Street and Paradise Creek would be a wonderful start.

Joann Muneta, Moscow

http://www.MoscowCares.com