[Vision2020] Green California Makes Progress while Petro State Texas Falters

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 17:52:30 PST 2016

Regarding California's "Green" status, professor Rachael Salcido, of the
McGeorge School of Law, gave a fascinating presentation Nov. 3 this year at
the U of I Law School, discussing California's efforts to reduce greenhouse
gas emissions:
"Government Structuring in the Face of Climate Change"
https://www.facebook.com/events/1779738952314203/

I was lucky to have a brief conservation, after her presentation, with
professor Salcido, regarding carbon fee and dividend approach to addressing
global warming, leaving the marketplace to sort out the problem, as opposed
to a more regulatory "command and control" approach.

I mentioned to professor Salcido the Niskanen Center libertarian
approach to global warming, which surprisingly does not fall under the
denialist or "do not worry it's exaggerated" spin.

It's a breath of fresh ideological air to discover a thoughtful libertarian
who does not deny the overwhelming scientific evidence that global warming
is occurring primarily caused by human activity, and suggests an
economically conservative approach to address the problem.   Read below:
---------------------------------------
Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett

https://niskanencenter.org/blog/libertarian-principles-climate-change/

April 6, 2015
Libertarian Principles & Climate Change

------------------------------
by Jerry Taylor

Most libertarians who engage in the global warming debate
contend—vehemently—that anything short of “just saying no” to mainstream
science and public policy to address climate risk is a gross violation of
nearly every principle libertarians hold dear. An examination of the
arguments forwarded by anti-warming libertarians, however, finds no trace
of libertarian principle at all. While it’s perfectly fine for
libertarians—or anyone else for that matter—to discuss climate change
without reference to an ideological playbook, there is nothing within
libertarian philosophy that adds weight to the Right’s reluctance to
address climate risks. Let’s consider the arguments my libertarian friends
are wont to offer in this debate.

*The science does not justify addressing climate risks.* It should go
without saying that how one feels about individual rights and liberties has
nothing to do with how one interprets the scientific literature regarding
atmospheric physics. Consider a summary of the evidence
<http://reason.com/archives/2015/04/03/what-evidence-would-persuade-you-that-ma/>
for
concern about warming from *Reason’s* science correspondent, Ronald Bailey
(one of the few DC libertarians who takes climate change seriously), and
presumably the best summary
<http://www.sessions.senate.gov/public/_cache/files/db079461-fa1e-4567-a03e-9c63c4733ea0/epw-letter-to-mccarthy-over-inaccuracy-of-climate-models.pdf>
conservative
Republicans in the Senate can muster for skepticism about the same (a
summary no doubt drawing in part from information offered up by libertarian
activists who disagree with Bailey). As my friend Sheldon Richman has
argued, how does a commitment to liberty inform how one feels about who has
the stronger argument
<http://www.thepriceofliberty.org/06/12/11/fffoundation.htm>?

Libertarians are free to referee the scientific debate in any manner they
wish. They are not free, however, to argue that ideological priors should
have anything to do with that call. The fact that the implications of
climate change are politically uncomfortable should not color how
libertarians assess the underlying science (a trait, historically
speaking, more
common amongst conservatives than libertarians
<http://niskanencenter.org/blog/where-does-hostility-to-science-come-from/>
).

*Restricting greenhouse gas emissions will harm the economy and put tens of
thousands of jobs at risk.* Why would libertarian principle compel us to
care? If party A is harming party B, the fact that party A will be poorer
were they to cease and desist should be neither here nor there. This
argument would not resonate with libertarians in other contexts, so why
should it resonate here?
<http://law.case.edu/faculty/adler_jonathan/publications/adler_climateproperty.pdf>

*Mitigating climate risks will produce fewer benefits than costs.* Since
when did libertarian principles dictate embracing utilitarian calculations
in the course of deciding whether to protect property rights? If party A is
harming party B, the contention that A gains more than B loses in the
course of that transgression should not encourage libertarians to
green-light rights violations.

*Restricting greenhouse gas emissions will increase the size of government*.
According to libertarians, the purpose of government is to protect rights
to life, liberty, property, and the pursuit of happiness. If greenhouse gas
emissions infringe on those considerations (as they most assuredly do if
the scientific consensus regarding climate change is correct), libertarian
principles demand that government should act to enjoin those rights
violations.

*Future generations will be far wealthier and better positioned than we are
to address climate change.* If present generations are imposing costs on
future generations, then this is an exercise in transferring wealth from
the (relatively) rich people of the future to the (relatively) poor people
of today. Why should libertarians embrace those wealth transfers
<http://object.cato.org/sites/cato.org/files/serials/files/regulation/2004/4/v27n1-4.pdf>
when they are found to be objectionable in other contexts?

*Environmentalists are trying to shut-down capitalism by controlling energy
markets.* To whatever extent this is true
<http://www.amazon.com/This-Changes-Everything-Capitalism-Climate/dp/1451697384/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428153004&sr=8-1&keywords=naomi+klein>,
it is neither here nor there lest libertarians wish to make *ad hominem*
<http://skepdic.com/adhominem.html> argumentation a matter of ideological
principle. The underlying motives of *some* environmentalists in the
climate debate have nothing to do with whether climate change is happening,
whether it is caused by industrial emissions, or whether it is imposing
significant harm or the risk of significant harm.  Period.

*It is unclear who has property rights in the atmosphere so there is no
point in talking about rights violations associated with climate change.*
This is a sophisticated dodge but one that takes us down a rabbit hole. Are
we to seriously entertain the idea that manufacturers “homesteaded” rights
to the atmosphere during the industrial revolution? That would seem to run
into John Locke’s admonition
<http://object.cato.org/sites/cato.org/files/serials/files/cato-journal/2006/11/cj26n3-3.pdf>
to “leave enough and as good for others when taking from the common.” If
producers don’t have property rights to the atmosphere, that means they are
either held by individuals or by the state. Given that it is impossible to
imagine the former
<http://www.criticalreview.com/crf/jf/6%202_3_politics%20or%20scholarship.pdf>
(at least, in any functioning manner), that leaves us with the latter.
Accordingly, where exactly in libertarian philosophy is it written that
it’s OK to destroy private property or put lives at risk as long as it’s
done through the vehicle of the public commons?

I don’t mean to argue that libertarians should be taken to task for
forwarding arguments outside of their ideological hymnals. One could make a
strong argument, after all, that libertarians have little to offer to the
environmental debate *as libertarians*
<http://www.criticalreview.com/crf/jf/6%202_3_politics%20or%20scholarship.pdf>.
But if one wishes to carry the banner of “principle” in this conversation,
those principles do not sit comfortably
<http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2443030> with the
arguments forwarded by many self-described libertarians. And they certainly
can’t be marshaled against those who maintain that some action to address
climate change is necessary
<http://1uad6j1oqspx17mxgkjacp15.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/The-Conservative-Case-for-a-Carbon-Tax1.pdf>
.