[Vision2020] Poem

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Thu May 12 06:20:40 PDT 2016

About a year ago I subscribed to "Poem of the Day", an online service.

Jus' like the morning newspaper, there'd be a poem waiting in my email in-box.  Some were kinda humorous.  Some were issue-oriented.  Some were mushy.

Generally, I would read them, share them with my spouse, and delete them.

This morning's poem hit kinda hard.  Although I consider it a few days late, it hits home as it relates to my mom, as well as many others' moms . . .

---------------------

"You Mattered to Me" by Ruth Morris

You lived your life thinking that no one cared
You thought you were all alone, your heart feeling tattered
I am here to tell you that you were wrong
'Cause you see - Mom - to me you mattered

I loved you when you were angry and mean
I loved you when you were kind as could be
I loved you not just because I had to
I loved you because you mattered to me

It hurts to know that now you're gone
And never will your face again I see
I hurt not because I am supposed to
I hurt because you mattered to me

I have to live on each day without you
It doesn't get easier as it is supposed to be
I feel the loss of you to my very soul
Because you see - Mom - you mattered to me

Your touch, your smile, your funny wit
The times it was just you and me
I will miss you, Mom, with all my heart
'Cause you still matter to me...