[Vision2020] Next month?

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Sun May 1 14:50:20 PDT 2016

Thank you for your message.  We here at the Thalesian Calendar
Development Cooperative will assist you as well as we are able during
the transition from the ancient, antiquated, article of faith known as
the Gregorian calendar to the modern, meritorious, mathematically
material calendar I named the Thalesian calendar.

Unlike other calendars which have some indeterminate beginning based on
some cultural or religious artifice, the Thalesian calendar has a
precisely calculable beginning determined by the relation of the
astronomical bodies involved in the first solar eclipse predicted by a
human, Thales of Miletus.  This grants the Thalesian calendar the unique
property of not having a basis in superstition, historical accident, or
authoritarian arbitrariness.

Using the Gregorian calendar, the date of that eclipse was 25 May 585
BCE. Using any of the multitude of other calendars, the date is
something else.

Using the Thalesian calendar, the date and time of the exact center of
the eclipse is exactly midnight of the first day of the first month of
the first year, Year 0, of the Thalesian calendar. Because the Gregorian
calendar does not have a Year 0, and the Thalesian calendar does have a
Year 0, the Thalesian calendar is near the transition from the current
year of 2599 to the year 2600.  (585 - 1 + 2016 = 2600)

So, with apologizes for any inconveniences caused by your inability to
get to the presently antiquated Gregorian month of May, the Thalesian
calendar development team will create a new set of month names that will
obviate your need to achieve the month of May, since under the Thalesian
calendar, there will not be any such month.  Future communications will
appear as development continues.  Comments and suggestions are welcome,
though developer response time is limited.

Ken