[Vision2020] Memo to Trump: American Muslims do assimilate

Nicholas Gier ngier006 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 18:53:08 PDT 2016

Hi Roger,

As usual you are shooting from the hip.  What is your definition of "fair
number" and do you have any data?

The main complaint from American imams is that their young people are
taking on Western values and leaving orthodox Islam, not becoming radical
Islamists, let alone jihadists.  The latter are a very small number not a
"fair number."

When Ghazi's two sons took our philosophy classes (one became a major),
their parents were afraid that they had lost them.  Both of them have
assimilated (one teaches at Princeton and has an international reputatioin)
and have become very successful.  This is the norm for American Muslims not
the exception.

Thanks for the dialogue, but bring facts to the table next time.

Nick

--

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they
shall never sit in.

-Greek proverb

“Enlightenment is man’s emergence from his self-imposed immaturity.
Immaturity is the inability to use one’s understanding without guidance
from another. This immaturity is self- imposed when its cause lies not in
lack of understanding, but in lack of resolve and courage to use it without
guidance from another. Sapere Aude! ‘Have courage to use your own
understand-ing!—that is the motto of enlightenment.

--Immanuel Kant