[Vision2020] Massive cargo ship arrives in Seattle’s Elliott Bay

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Mon Feb 29 22:35:30 PST 2016

Massive cargo ship arrives in Seattle’s Elliott Bay

http://www.seattletimes.com/business/economy/massive-cargo-ship-arrives-in-elliott-bay/

The largest cargo ship ever to visit the United States, the CMA CGM
Benjamin Franklin, arrived at Harbor Island’s Terminal 18 on Monday,
packed with electronics, clothing, furniture and sporting goods.

By Janet I. Tu <http://www.seattletimes.com/author/janet-i-tu/>
Seattle Times business reporter

The largest cargo ship to visit the United States, the CMA CGM Benjamin
Franklin, arrived in Seattle Monday morning.

It is expected to berth at The Northwest Seaport Alliance’s Terminal 18
in Seattle.

The vessel is longer than the Empire State Building, wider than a
football field, and as tall as a 20-floor building, according to CMA
CGM, a French container shipping company. (That’s 1,300 feet long, 177
feet wide, and 197 feet tall.)

It has a capacity of 18,000 TEUs (or twenty foot equivalent units — the
standard unit of measurement for cargo capacity).

“It’ll probably be several years before we see something that big
again,” said Northwest Seaport Alliance spokesman Peter McGraw. “But
we’ll be seeing larger vessels in the 13,000 to 14,000 size before that.”

<[More of the story at the link above.]>

Ken

P.S.:  I wonder how many jobs the products on that cargo ship
represents, and the economic details associated with them.  --KM