[Vision2020] Five horses removed by police from Moscow property

Saundra Lund v2020 at ssl1.fastmail.fm
Thu Dec 22 14:11:38 PST 2016

[Apologies if you receive this twice – I sent it a couple of hours ago but the copy to V2020 seems to have disappeared into an Internet black hole.]

Thanks for posting this, Tom – this is extremely disturbing, and I hope you share the follow-up reporting.  It doesn’t look like she’s been charged with anything yet.

I looked up this person in the Idaho Repository, and it certainly looks we’ve got a problem here with how animal cases are handled . . . or not handled.  Davis’ most recent cruelty case was filed 11/12/2015 and was dismissed – after being scheduled for trial – 6/1/2016.  When you have someone with her sordid history of not caring for animals, you stay on them like white on rice.  It seems that didn’t happen in this situation or else these poor horses wouldn’t have been subjected to these recent additional months (on top of the previous years) of abuse/neglect from dismissal in June until now.  It’s not like she had those horses hidden away, either – I’ve been told everyone driving in that area (presumably including Code Enforcement) could see the neglect/cruelty with their own eyes, including that some of the horses had no shelter whatsoever  :(

This, to me, is evidence of a systemic failure.

Sadly, I can’t say I’m surprised these crimes aren’t taken more seriously in Moscow, in Latah County, or in Idaho.  After all, we just recently had the UI confess to illegally trapping, gassing, and killing over 1200 animals on campus, and that wasn’t even worth a citation.  SMH.  I’m all for teachable moments, but when a sentient being is harmed by illegal human behavior, that teachable moment needs to be accompanied by a meaningful penalty or else we see people like Teresa Davis – and Charles Zillinger – getting away with things over and over and over again that flatly aren’t acceptable in a decent society.

It's encouraging to me to see so many Facebook comments condemning not only Davis’ neglect/cruelty but also the inaction that resulted in unnecessary suffering for those horses.

It is my hope that those “in charge” finally realize that the good people of Moscow are no longer willing to turn a blind eye and remain silent when animals aren’t treated humanely.

Saundra Lund

Moscow, ID

The least I can do is speak out for those who cannot speak out for themselves.

~ Jane Goodall