[Vision2020] Caturday (December 17, 2016)

Moscow Cares moscowcares at moscow.com
Sat Dec 17 05:33:41 PST 2016

Two cats abandoned in a dumpster overnight when the temperature was in the single digits are now safe and warm, just in time to enjoy Caturday.

Courtesy of the Quad-City Times (Davenport, Iowa) at:

http://qctimes.com/news/local/luckily-they-were-still-alive-cats-rescuer-says/article_c0b1c621-0c6f-536b-9354-dd97cd6d15f7.html?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

--------------------------------

Luckily, they were still alive,' cats’ rescuer says

Jennifer Danner says it was by chance that her staff found two cats abandoned in the bitter December cold.

She runs a day care out of a room at Newcomb Presbyterian Church, 2619 N. Division St., Davenport. A cook spotted a pet-carrying crate on Tuesday while tossing out the trash in an area of the parking lot that, Danner said, is not well traveled, and no one else was at the church but her day care staff.

“She said she was scared to look inside, afraid she would find something not living,” Danner said. “Luckily, they were still alive. Had we not seen them, I don’t think they would have survived the day.”

Danner said her cook, who is allergic to cats, brought them inside. At first, they weren’t sure if there were one or two cats because they were huddled on top of one another in the back of the case.

“To me, it appeared they were left overnight,” Danner said. “There was ice all over the carrying case they were left in. They were scared, really quiet and really, really cold. They looked more in shock.”

The temperature Tuesday morning went from a low of 9 degrees to only about the low teens by noon.

Danner called around trying to figure out where to take the animals and ended up driving them to a no-kill pet shelter that King's Harvest Ministries operates at 2504 W. Central Park Ave., Davenport.

There was no note or markings on the case to identify where the cats came from. All they had was a tiny mat on the floor of the case, and, Danner says, it smelled like urine.

Terri Gleize, who runs the pet rescue, said she has reached out to the church to inquire about surveillance cameras.

Iowa has laws regarding animal neglect. Neglect, which is failing to feed or properly shelter an animal, is a simple misdemeanor punishable by up to 30 days in jail and a fine of $50 to $500. Intentional neglect is a serious misdemeanor punishable by up to a year in jail and a fine of $250 to $1,500.

“I have a cat,” Danner said. “For me, I couldn’t imagine if my cat, which is a house cat, was left out in the cold. I’m glad King’s Harvest is able to bring them in. Now, they’re warm and fed.”

Photos . . .

http://www.MoscowCares.com/Caturday/Caturday_121716_01.jpg

http://www.MoscowCares.com/Caturday/Caturday_121716_02.jpg

http://www.MoscowCares.com/Caturday/Caturday_121716_03.jpg