[Vision2020] Third Street Bridge

Moscow Cares moscowcares at moscow.com
Mon Aug 29 03:27:53 PDT 2016

Courtesy of today's (August 29, 2016) Moscow-Pullman Daily News with thanks to Linda Pall.

---------------------------------

Letter: Third Street bridge

Thanks for your announcement in the Aug. 24 Daily News about the fate of the city of Moscow's TIGER grant application to the U.S. Department of Transportation, but the news is a little old. It was announced on the DOT website at the end of July and noticed by the newly formed nonprofit, Citizens for a Livable Community Inc., in early August.

At the same time, the group sent an objection to the inclusion of a bridge at Third Street that diverted attention and merit from the very well developed and needed improvements along Mountain View Road. Our letter pointed out that most of those groups, whose letters of support were originally attached to the grant, were unaware that the city had included a car/truck bridge at Third and Paradise Creek to make Third Street a motorway with speeds of 35 mph (according to city standards).

Also on the website was announcement of those localities and agencies that received grants across the country. The Intermountain West was not well represented. The projects funded emphasized true, multimodal efforts to design streets for people in all our roles as citizens, including pedestrians, cyclists and users of disability access vehicles, in addition to cars and trucks, for all ages and physical abilities from spirited runners and joggers to drivers of hot sports cars to those of us who need a cane or staff to get around. Many addressed long overdue safety concerns in low income communities.

Stay tuned for a pocket park proposal and pedestrian/bike/disability walkway across the creek at the current end of East Third. Don't trade less than a minute travel time to Mountain View for the destruction of our tree-lined streets and historic district. We hope the city will rethink its street designation to promote livability.

Linda Pall, Moscow

Third Street Pocket Park
http://www.MoscowCares.com/Third_Street_Bridge

I wonder whatever became of it.  Hmmm.