[Vision2020] Muslims and Arabs: As American as apple pie

Moscow Cares moscowcares at moscow.com
Fri Aug 19 04:26:59 PDT 2016

Courtesy of today's (August 19, 2016) Moscow-Pullman Daily News with a special thanks to Dr. S.M. "Ghazi" Ghazanfar.

---------------------------------
His View: Muslims and Arabs: As American as apple pie

Recent political discourse has been dominated by expressions of fear and hate, Muslims and Arabs being among the key targets. Ironically, not long ago candidate Donald Trump's "ban Muslims" rally happened in Atlanta's Fox Theater with its most exquisite Islamic architecture. Misconceptions about Islam and Muslims remind one of that once-famous song "Getting to Know You" (from the movie "The King and I") that ought to become our guide. In that spirit, this narrative highlights some tangible cultural links to the Arab-Islamic world, hardly in our consciousness but part of our daily routine.

1. Language/academic disciplines: Thousands of English words are linked to Arabic, more than 500 of them in daily conversation - apricot, algebra, gauze, giraffe, lemon, magazine, orange, tangerine, candy, syrup, chess, names of stars, Arabic numerals; mathematics, chemistry, astronomy, medicine, etc.

2. Places: Over 480 cities and towns: Aladin, Wyo.; Arabi, Ga.; Baghdad, Calif.; Cairo, Calif., Ga., Ill.; Koran, La.; Mahomet, Ill.; Mecca, Ill., Ind., Ga.; Medina, Idaho, etc.; Islamorada, Fla.; Palestine, Texas, etc. Alhambra is another - a hotel in Chicago, a movie-house in Indiana, a boutique in Seattle. A private airport called Insha-Allah ("God-willing") in Oregon.

3. Blues music: African-Muslim slaves would sing songs, using African instruments, with religious lamentations. Shouts and hollers rooted in collective memory. Blues led to jazz - the clearest place where Islamic influences resonate.

4. Foods/drinks/cigarettes: Shish kebabs, baklava, hummus, sherbet, etc., but most notable is coffee. Discovered in Ethiopia, its was once banned as "the devil's drink," but later blessed by the Pope. Then coffee spread in the West with over 400 million cups consumed daily. At national fairs, Arab food and culture were inseparable. River Jordan's holy water was popular, as was zalabia - a fried, sometimes gridlike pastry. A Syrian-Christian saw another vendor selling ice cream on plates and offered to shape zalabia into a cone - and the ice cream cone was invented. His invention is still served at the family restaurant in Virginia. And cigarettes? Camel survives, but there were others - Fatima, Cairo, Sheikh.

5. Furniture, clothing, jewelry, perfumes: Persian and Turkish carpets. Foot stools known as ottomans. Jewelry and clothing designers have long looked to the Islamic/Arabic world for inspiration; designers are now talking of fashion's "Muslimization."

6. Architecture/arts: Numerous architectural wonders reflect Islamic linkages. The first was circus-man P.T. Barnum's mansion, "Iranistan," with design from Islamic Spain. Destroyed by fire, it was replicated in Barnum Museum on Iranistan Avenue, Bridgeport, Conn. There are other "Moorish" structures, including California's Hearst Castle and our gothic-style churches. Less well-known architecture is in the South. Spanish-style houses in New Orleans' French quarter reflect Islamic Spain's architectural norms of balconies and courtyards. San Antonio's Alamo is patterned after Cordoba's mosque, with ornately carved "Moorish" doorway, geometric floral patterns and archways. Most unusual is the Citadel, the military college in Charleston, S.C., reflecting architecture from Islamic Spain.

7. The Shriners: The iconic Shriners of Freemasonry called themselves the Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine when they organized in New York City in 1871 to have fun. They still exchange greetings with "Assalamo-o-Alaikkum." Their meeting halls are often mistaken for mosques. Chicago's Shriner-founded Medinah Country Club, with its domes and turbaned statues, tells visitors, "Allah be with you." It has a lake named "Khadija," Prophet Mohammed's first wife. Shriners now focus on philanthropy.

So, can people of goodwill consider reaching out to their Muslim/Arab neighbors - and "others" ? Our connections with Muslim/Arab traditions may persuade the skeptics. We may at least broaden our boundaries, often self-made, for our common humanity. For that, we need people whose vistas are broad and hearts capacious. Or else, by alienating "others," we alienate ourselves and diminish our own humanity.

Ghazi and Rukhsana with a few of their friends at their bench dedication ceremony in Moscow's (the one in Idaho) East City Park on May 10, 2013.

http://www.moscowcares.com/Benches/BenchDedication_051013_EverybodyA.jpg

http://www.MoscowCares.com