[Vision2020] And now for something completely different . . .

Ron Force ronforce at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 21:30:05 PDT 2016

Jobs was infamous for his penchant for parking in the handicapped slot in
the parking lot and for driving a silver Mercedes SL55 AMG with a blank
license plate. How did he do it? Did he just pay the fine every time he was
caught? Was he granted a special leave by the California government to
indulge himself? Surely, *surely*, he didn’t change cars every few months
just to go without a license plate, right?

Right?

Yeah, that’s exactly what he did, according to this story by ITWire
<http://www.itwire.com/it-people-news/enterprise/50649-the-truth-about-steve-jobs-number-plate>,
which spoke to a former senior security official at Apple
<https://index.co/company/Apple?utm_source=thenextweb.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=hover-Apple>,
Jon
Callas, about Jobs’ numberless numberplate:

Steve (or someone close to him) spotted a loophole in the California
vehicle laws.  Anyone with a brand new car had a maximum of six months to
affix the issued number plate to the vehicle.

So Jobs made an arrangement with the leasing company; he would always
change cars during the sixth month of the lease, exchanging one silver
Mercedes SL55 AMG for another identical one.  At no time would he ever be
in a car as old as six months; and thus there was no legal requirement to
have the number plates fitted.

All that for a license plate! How about that, huh?

As to why he went to all this effort in the first place, Walter
Isaacson noted in his biography of the Apple co-founder that Jobs may have
wanted a numberless license plate to prevent himself from being
tracked—but when
asked in interviews after the book launched
<http://edition.cnn.com/2011/10/23/tech/innovation/60-minutes-steve-jobs/index.html>,
the author has not clarified this statement.

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2011/10/27/mystery-solved-why-steve-jobs-car-never-had-a-license-plate/#gref

Ron Force
Moscow Idaho USA