[Vision2020] [corrected link] Caturday (September 26, 2015)

Moscow Cares moscowcares at moscow.com
Sat Sep 26 06:19:48 PDT 2015

When a couple found six abandoned kittens and decided to try and care for them, the entire neighborhood stepped up to help.  A truly heartwarming story for Caturday.

Courtesy of the Daily Progress (Waynesboro, Virginia) at:

http://www.dailyprogress.com/newsvirginian/news/abandoned-kittens-unite-waynesboro-neighbors/article_ecad551a-60db-11e5-9711-d75f81760b5d.html?mode=jqm

---------------------------------
Abandoned Kittens Unite Waynesboro Neighbors

On a hot summer day, Jennifer Lewis found a Tupperware box alongside the road. It didn't have air holes and inside were a number of kittens that it appeared were left to die. Lewis and her neighbors decided to take matters into their own hands.

Lewis and her husband were settled in for the night when a neighbor told her to rush down the road. The couple foster kittens and work with Cat Cradle, but this situation was beyond a stray cat. There was a blue Tupperware container and kittens galore. Scared, some kittens hid in the bush.

“They were extremely tame,” Lewis said. “They were all hiding, but you could go up to them and just pick them up.”

That night, the Lewis family took in three kittens. In a few short days, the number of kittens found and fostered by the Lewis family doubled to six. Just when they thought they were done finding cats, they found the mama cat.

To Lewis, taking the kittens to the shelter was not an option.

“My husband loves animal rescue as much as I do, and he will not let an animal go to the pound… even the threat of being euthanized,” Lewis said. “Taking them to the pound is not even an option.”

Lewis’ neighborhood, where the kittens were found, banded together in support. Weekly, she said, neighbors drop off litter, food, and other items to help her with the kittens.

“Everybody has stepped up to help these kittens,” she explained. “All of our neighbors have expressed gratitude that we’re able to let them in our house, and take care of them because everyone can’t do something like that.”

“[The neighborhood] raised money to get them tested, vaccinated, spayed and/or neutered so now they’re ready for their forever homes,” Lewis said. “We’ve gotten three of them homed so far, and I’m hoping we can get the rest of them homes.”

Jennifer Lewis plays with the kittens she rescued

Currently, the kittens are residing at Lewis’ home. They think the mother cat is about a year old and the kittens are about four months. Lewis renamed the kittens after vineyards. Lewis said that each kitten has a vibrant personality.

Grace is a black and white female kitten. Lewis said she loves to play; she has a feather toy with bells that she goes crazy over and jumps in the air for it. Grace has the best pray and killer instincts out of the group, she said. The kitten likes to cuddle on her own terms; she will lie directly beside a person and snuggle up.

Vino is also a tuxedo kitten with a fluffy black tail. He was found with a wound on his back, but is almost healed. Lewis said he was babied a lot because of the wound and now she described him as a big baby. She said he is a softy and would love for somebody to spoil him rotten.

Veritas is a tortoiseshell cat; she is extremely cuddly. Lewis said as soon as she sits down, Veritas is on her lap. She is the lap cat and puts her paws on Lewis’ chest, longingly if she stops petting her.

Mama also has a tortoiseshell coat. She is playful, but not as much as the kittens; she loves catnip. Lewis said she is super sweet and will jump up to her.

Lewis also has one other kitten that was found malnourished in the woods, Notaviva, who still needs to get tested, vaccinated, and spayed. Lewis believes Notaviva is part of the same litter that was dropped off.

“I just want somebody who will spoil them rotten,” Lewis explained. “I believe all animals deserve to be spoiled rotten but these kittens especially just deserve extra love.”

“It’s just been really sad. What’s been amazing is their resilience—I can’t believe that they’re this friendly. You would think after being shoved in a container with a lid on in the middle of August you would never want to see another human again, but they’re so sweet,” Lewis said.

Beyond the need of good homes for the kittens, Lewis also she wants awareness.

“If people would spay or neuter their animals, we wouldn’t be in this situation. I just want people to feel like its not hopeless; you don’t have to abandon these kittens on the side of a road in a box. You can prevent it: get your animals spayed and neutered,” Lewis advocated.

“They don’t hold anything against humans; they’re just so forgiving and affectionate—it’s just amazing to think they’ve been though [this] and they’re just happy and cuddly,” Lewis said. “They’re really resilient cats they deserve to have a family that will love them, and they will love you back.”

Photos

http://www.MoscowCares.com/Caturday/Caturday_092615_01.jpg

http://www.moscowcares.com/Caturday/Caturday_092615_02.jpg

http://www.MoscowCares.com