[Vision2020] 8 States Running Out of Water

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 17:50:24 PDT 2015

Speaking of climate change "deniers," Bjørn Lomborg, who has been given a
significant podium for years in various media to promote his approach to
AGW (anthropogenic global warming), which, while not totally denying global
warming is occurring, minimizes the extent of the problem, asserting the
money that might spent on addressing global warming would be better spent
on other human problems,

*was sliced and diced August 31, 2015 on Realclimate.org, by one of the
most brilliant and knowledgeable climate scientists on the planet, Stefan
Rahmstorf, Professor of the Physics of the Oceans at Potsdam University:
http://www.pik-potsdam.de/~stefan/ <http://www.pik-potsdam.de/~stefan/>*
*I encourage anyone who is a "climate change denier," to carefully and with
an open mind study this Rahmstorf article pasted in below.  However, I
dislike stereotyping views on AGW into opposing camps, such as "warmers"
and "deniers."  There are wide range of differing viewpoints on AGW, thus
such oversimplifying stereotypes do a disservice to rational objective
discussion. as this academic work from Yale implies:*
*March 16 2015* Global Warming’s Six Americas’ Perceptions of the Health
Risks
<http://environment.yale.edu/climate-communication/article/global-warmings-six-americas-perceptions-of-the-health-risks/>

*http://environment.yale.edu/climate-communication/articles/archives/C72
<http://environment.yale.edu/climate-communication/articles/archives/C72>*

*Rahmstorf is an expert on sea level rise that may be induced by global
warming, so Lomborg made a strategic mistake by wading into those
scientific waters, a mistake Rahmstorf was only too happy to pounce upon.*

*Especially bizarre was the news in Rahmstorf's article that the Australian
government offered a university $4 million to make Lomborg a professor, a
development which contradicts the often heard claim that academia promotes
global warming science to attract grants and publishing privileges to
promote questionable science indicating global warming is a serious
problem.  In this case, the financial reward was aimed at promoting within
academia the opposite point of view, though apparently, according to the
Rahmstorf article, Lomborg's academic credentials simply did not pass
muster, thus he was not given the professor position, though the Australian
government "vowed to find another university."*

*As Rahmstorf points out, and I paraphrase, a spokesperson like Lomborg who
gives the appearance of academic credibility on climate science, while
decidedly lacking it, easily misleads a public that is not going to dive
deeply into the scientific literature to cross check Lomborg's assertions
on global warming.   The fact Lomborg receives as much media attention as
he does contradicts the often heard claim that skeptical views on AGW are
not given widespread coverage.*

*I've pasted in the entire article, in part because the Realclimate.org
website was having problems, though I eventually found the article in
question.  The article is followed by extensive discussion on the
Realclimate.org website, which I found quite
worthwhile:http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2015/08/bjorn-lomborg-just-a-scientist-with-a-different-opinion/
<http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2015/08/bjorn-lomborg-just-a-scientist-with-a-different-opinion/>*
Bjorn Lomborg, just a scientist with a different opinion?
Stefan, 31 August 2015

Bjørn Lomborg is a well-known media personality who argues that there are
more important priorities than reducing emissions to limit global warming.
In a recent controversy centering on him, the Australian government (known
for its contradictory position on climate change
<http://www.theguardian.com/environment/planet-oz/2014/jun/16/what-does-australian-prime-minister-tony-abbott-really-think-about-climate-change>)
offered the University of Western Australia (UWA) $4 million to make
Lomborg professor – which UWA first accepted, but then after massive
protest from its staff and students refused
<http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-05-08/bjorn-lomborg-uwa-consensus-centre-contract-cancelled/6456708>.
The Australian government was quick to label it a “freedom of speech” issue
that Lomborg should get a university position, and vowed to find another
university
<http://www.theguardian.com/environment/planet-oz/2015/may/15/how-conservatives-lost-the-plot-over-the-rejection-of-bjorn-lomborg>
that would host him. However, free speech doesn’t guarantee everyone a
university position; there are also academic qualifications required.

*Lomborg’s publication record *

Let us thus start by looking at Lomborg’s track record in the scientific
literature. This is where original research results, i.e. new findings, are
published. One can look this up in the Thomson Reuters Web of Science
<http://wokinfo.com/>, the main data base of the scientific literature.
According to this Lomborg only has published 20 papers, of which 15 have
never been cited by anyone (Fig. 1). The number of citations shows whether
any other researchers in the world have found the results interesting
enough to discuss them in their own papers (whether critically or
otherwise). Only one of Lomborg’s papers has a reasonable number of
citations: 42. This is on a problem of game theory, apparently resulting
from his PhD thesis. On closer inspection, the other articles appear to be
merely opinion pieces that made it into the Thomson Reuters data base by
appearing in periodicals that are indexed there, including Forbes, Foreign
Affairs or New Scientist.

[image: Lomborg1] <http://www.realclimate.org/images//Lomborg1.jpg>[image:
Lomborg2] <http://www.realclimate.org/images//Lomborg2.jpg>

*Figure 1 Lomborg’s citation record in Web of Science, as viewed on 22 Aug
2015. The ten most-cited papers (out of 20) are listed. Click to enlarge.*

That means that apart from one paper in 1996, Lomborg has never published
anything in any field of science that was interesting or useful to other
scientists, or even just worth the bother of contradicting in the
scientific literature. PhD students at many universities are expected to
publish two or three original research papers from their PhD, and without
that, they are generally uncompetitive for a postdoc position.

For comparison I also show a snapshot of the publication record of an
economist who really studies the economics of climate change: Gary Yohe
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Yohe> (Fig. 2) – to give readers
unfamiliar with bibliometric data an idea of what they look like for a
regular scientist at professorial level. One number illustrates the point:
Lomborg’s papers were cited once last year, Yohe’s 608 times.

[image: Yohe1] <http://www.realclimate.org/images//Yohe1.jpg>[image: Yohe2]
<http://www.realclimate.org/images//Yohe2.jpg>

*Figure 2 Gary Yohe’s citation record in Web of Science, as viewed on 27
Aug 2015. The ten most-cited papers (out of 93) are listed. Click to
enlarge.*

*Lomborg’s public comments on sea-level rise*

I study sea-level rise <http://www.pik-potsdam.de/sealevel/>, and I first
noticed Lomborg’s sea-level comments in October 2008, when he
published an opinion
piece in the Guardian
<http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2008/oct/14/climatechange-scienceofclimatechange>