[Vision2020] Charges filed against woman who shot at fleeing shoplifters in Home Depot parking lot

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Oct 13 18:44:11 PDT 2015

Yep.  More guns.  That's what we need alright.

Then, I jus' dare somebody to cut in line ahead of me at Walmart.

Courtesy of the Oakland Press (Oakland, California) at:

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/general-news/20151013/charges-filed-against-woman-who-shot-at-fleeing-shoplifters-in-home-depot-parking-lot

---------------------------------
Charges filed against woman who shot at fleeing shoplifters in Home Depot parking lot
A 46-year-old Clarkston woman accused of firing gunshots at two men who were driving away from a Home Depot after stealing merchandise has been charged with a misdemeanor.

Tatiana Duva-Rodriguez is accused of firing the shots Oct. 6 at Home Depot, 4150 Joslyn Road in Auburn Hills.

Duva-Rodriguez was arraigned in the early afternoon in Rochester Hills on the single charge of reckless use, handling or discharge of a firearm, a misdemeanor punishable by up to 90 days in jail and/or a fine.

“If this is proven, I find it very disturbing that someone would take out their gun in a busy parking lot and shoot at the tires of a passing car,” Oakland County Prosecutor Jessica Cooper said.

“Once fired, the bullet could have easily ricocheted or fragmented and injured or killed someone else. It would have been much more helpful for her to take out her cellphone and shoot pictures of the shoplifter’s license plate.”

A press release announcing the charges called Duva-Rodriguez’s actions “misguided.”

Duva-Rodriguez, who had a $5,000 personal bond set during her arraignment, had a valid concealed pistol license at the time of the shooting. A plea of not guilty was entered on her behalf.

“We are grateful that nothing more serious happened as a result of the decision to fire a weapon into a busy parking lot,” Auburn Hills Police Chief Doreen Olko said.

“We do not encourage bystanders to insert themselves into incidents because of the potential for deadly consequences.”

No injuries were reported in the incident. The gunshots from the 9 mm handgun flattened a tire on the black 2015 Jeep that was used as a getaway vehicle, officials said.

Duva-Rodriguez is an “upstanding young woman,” according to her attorney, Steven Schwartz.

“It’s just too bad that she’s in the middle of this,” Schwartz said.

“It’s just an unfortunate situation. Somebody trying to be a good Samaritan (made) a split-second decision that may be questioned after. I know there’s a big debate going on with gun control versus the Second Amendment. There are two sides and I think that’s probably what’s behind this. Fortunately nobody was injured. There was never an intent to injure anybody but here we are with this big story.”

Duva-Rodriguez will next appear in court at 8:30 a.m. Oct. 26.

Meanwhile, authorities have released the identity of one of the two accused shoplifters. Anthony Harris, 46, of Flint, was arraigned Saturday on one count of first-degree retail fraud, a felony. A not guilty plea was entered, his bond was set at $25,000 cash and his next court date is scheduled for 1:15 p.m. Oct. 19.

The other accused shoplifter, 52, of Flint, remains in custody on warrants from other jurisdictions, police said. He will also be charged with first-degree retail fraud, officials announced last week.

Both men are accused of stealing items with a combined value of more than $1,000.

Police said Duva-Rodriguez fired the shots after seeing an employee chasing one of the men, who had pushed a cart full of items out of the store without paying.

http://www.MoscowCares.com