[Vision2020] Open Letter to Idahoans

Nicholas Gier ngier006 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 09:42:11 PST 2015

*Jasmine M. El-Gamal* <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jasmine-m-elgamal/>

Truman National Security Fellow, civil servant in the U.S. Department of
Defense and a graduate of Georgetown's School of Foreign Service

·

*An Open Letter to Idahoans*

On November 16, North Idaho Rep. Heather Scott wrote her constituents and
told them to be scared
<http://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/IDLEG/bulletins/1259148> of Muslim
refugees coming to America, calling them a "Trojan Horse." I want to tell
you that I understand why you might be nervous about the possibility of a
large influx of strangers from a war-torn land coming into our country. I
also want to tell you why we shouldn't close our borders to our fellow
human beings at a time when they need our compassion the most.

My name is Jasmine El-Gamal and I am the daughter of Muslim immigrants. My
father left Egypt in his 20s. A proud Egyptian, he was also always
searching for ways to better himself. With his parents long gone, he kissed
his siblings goodbye and headed to a country he heard was built by
immigrants, for immigrants. A land where everyone was equal, where hard
work meant a steady paycheck and the possibility of owning your own house,
and where families convened every year on Thanksgiving to celebrate their
blessings.

He dreamt of having children and raising them with the highest of hopes and
none of the fears he harbored back home. So with less than 200 dollars to
his name, he came to America and went straight to work in downtown
Manhattan, less than 10 miles from the Statue of Liberty with its hopeful
words etched at the bottom: "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled
masses yearning to breathe free."

*Look at your own families. Where did your ancestors come from? What did
they have to endure to get here? Aren't you glad America let them in?*

My parents were lucky. They weren't fleeing a war or facing persecution
because of their religion. They didn't wake up every morning to the sound
of barrel bombs raining from the sky unannounced. I think of Syrians
attempting to flee the carnage that is their daily life and wonder if
Heather Scott also mentioned to you that these people would have to go
through 18-24 months
<https://www.americanprogress.org/issues/immigration/news/2015/11/18/125812/infographic-the-screening-process-for-entry-to-the-united-states-for-syrian-refugees/>
of
security screenings, background checks and interviews before being admitted
here as refugees.

My immigrant parents taught me and my three brothers to cherish the safety,
freedoms and endless possibilities of America. But my family's story is not
unique. American Muslim immigrants and refugees and their children love and
serve their country, including in uniform -- they've done so under every
President from George Washington in 1775
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/craig-considine/saluting-muslim-american-patriots_b_7039866.html>
George Bush in 2007
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/10/19/colin-powell-invokes-imag_n_135977.html>,
and continue to do so today.

America is not just a country. America is an idea. It is the idea that
anyone, including those facing persecution back home, can come here, work
hard and make it, regardless of their religion. Just look at our history:
we opened our doors to Albert Einstein, Madeline Albright, Wyclef Jean --
just a few of the many refugees whoserved our country
<http://iipdigital.usembassy.gov/st/english/gallery/2012/06/201206187636.html#axzz3rspMPKtT>,
through science, public service and music. You may not agree with their
politics or religion, but I bet you can agree with the fact that they've
helped make our country what it is. Look at your own families. Where did
your ancestors come from? What did they have to endure to get here? Aren't
you glad America let them in?

*Show the world who we are. We are Americans: Open, tolerant, compassionate
and most of all, unafraid.*

My father died in 2013, on his birthday, on a flight from Saudi Arabia to
New York. He had just completed the "Haj", which is a pilgrimage to Mecca
required of able Muslims once in their lifetime to visit the birthplace of
their prophet. He died as a proud Muslim, a proud immigrant and a proud
American.

I've never had the privilege of visiting Idaho -- although I hope to do so
-- so I can't say that I know you. I don't know your specific fears or
experiences and I would never presume to minimize or dismiss them. All I
can say is that we're all Americans, and we share the ability to talk to
each other with an open mind and an open heart.

So what I propose to you is this: if you have a question about Muslims,
Islam, refugees, Syria, ISIS, or any related issue, email me. Let's have a
conversation. If I can't answer your questions, I promise I can connect you
to someone who can. I ask only one thing of you: Don't listen to hate
speech, or those who insist that you have something to fear from one group
of people -- most of whom simply long for a better life in this great
country they've heard so much about.

Show the world who we are. We are Americans: Open, tolerant, compassionate
and most of all, unafraid.

*Jasmine M. El-Gamal is a Truman National Security Fellow, a civil servant
in the U.S. Department of Defense and a graduate of Georgetown's School of
Foreign Service. She served as a translator with the 82nd Airborne division
in Iraq in 2003. She can be reached at firstgenjasmine at gmail.com
<firstgenjasmine at gmail.com>. This article originally appeared in the
November 22nd edition of the Idaho Falls Post Register.*