[Vision2020] Welcome the refugees

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Wed Nov 25 01:07:40 PST 2015

Courtesy of the Opinion section of today's (November 25, 2015) Moscow-Pullman Daily News with a special note of appreciation to Rose Huskey, who I am proud to call my friend.

---------------------------------
Welcome the Refugees
We have all watched with concern the horrendous plight of Syrian refugees trying to escape their war-torn country. As winter approaches, their living conditions become immeasurably worse. While we enjoy relatively comfortable lives in northern Idaho, distraught Syrian parents are gathering what goods they can carry and with their children beginning a journey that only sheer desperation could persuade them to attempt. As you read this, thousands of people are struggling to survive the perilous trek on courage and hope alone. How can we turn our backs on them?
I propose that the city of Moscow and Latah County declare this county and town a sanctuary for Syrian refugees. I acknowledge there are many challenges in choosing this path. But we are fortunate in having resources that few small communities enjoy. Moscow is a university town with a student body rich in cultural diversity. Members of the University of Idaho Muslim Student Association and the local Islamic Center might be willing to assist in acclimating recent Syrian arrivals to northern Idaho. The same students or community members may be willing to educate us in culture and language so that we would be prepared to respectfully help our guests in their transition. Many of our public school teachers have experience in teaching international students.
Boise and Twin Falls are developing programs that will welcome Syrian refugees. Please contact our elected city and county leaders and encourage them to form an exploratory committee at their earliest convenience to investigate what Moscow needs to do to prepare to host Syrian families.
"You have a choice to be the Samaritan or the other guy. Don't be the other guy - he's not the hero of the story."
Rose Huskey, Moscow

Thanks again, Rose.

Here is a simple suggestion, Idaho . . .

GIVE A DAMN ! ! !

"Moscow Cares"
http://www.MoscowCares.com