[Vision2020] 7 Bible Verses That Tell Christians to Help Refugees

Moscow Cares moscowcares at moscow.com
Thu Nov 19 09:21:01 PST 2015

Courtesy of U.S. Uncut at:

http://usuncut.com/politics/7-bible-verses-that-tell-christians-to-help-refugees/

--------------------------------
7 Bible Verses That Tell Christians to Help Refugees
What would Jesus do? Help Syrian refugees.

If you’re a Conservative Christian Republican watching the world’s biggest refugee crisis since World War II unfold, and Syrian refugees are fleeing their war-torn nation to seek asylum within American borders, you should ask yourself — what would Jesus do?

These 8 Bible verses make it pretty clear — true Christians have an obligation to help refugees.

1.  The parable of the Good Samaritan (Luke 10:25-37)

The story of the Good Samaritan is one of Jesus’ most famous parables: In the story, a man has beaten and robbed by a gang of bandits while walking down a road. Several people pass him by while offering no help, including a priest and a Levite. But the next person walking down that road — a Samaritan — sees the man, bandages his wounds, takes him to the inn, gives the innkeeper money out of his own pocket, and asks the innkeeper to look after the man.

The Good Samaritan parable is particularly timely for today’s refugee crisis. Back in Jesus’ day, the Jews had a fraught relationship with Samaritans, dating all the way back to the era of Jacob and his 12 sons in the Old Testament. This should serve as a prime example of why Christians have an obligation to help all those in need — even perceived enemies.

2. Share what you have with those who have none (Luke 3:11)

In Luke chapter 3, John the Baptist is instructing a crowd of those asking for Baptism to be fruitful in their efforts and create value in their lives, rather than simply being satisfied with their current circumstances. When the crowd asked John the best way to do that, John the Baptist told them to share what they have with others.

11 John answered, “Anyone who has two shirts should share with the one who has none, and anyone who has food should do the same.”

3. Be hospitable to strangers (Hebrews 13:2)

The book of Hebrews, which is presumed to have been authored by either the apostle Paul or Barnabas, urges Hebrew believers to have strong faith. Early in chapter 13, the author emphasizes readers to be hospitable to strangers.

2 Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it.

Later in that same chapter, the author stresses the need to help others once more, stating that doing so pleases the Lord.

“Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God.” (Hebrews 13:16)

4. Welcome strangers the same way you would welcome Jesus (Matthew 25:35-40)

While sharing the values of Christianity with his disciples in the Gospel of Matthew, Jesus told a parable of how God will one day separate the true believers from the false, just as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. The heart of the parable underscores the importance of going above and beyond to help those less fortunate, as if they were Jesus himself.

35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in,36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you?39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

5. Faith without works is worthless (James 2:14-17)

James, who is Jesus’ half-brother, wrote this letter to Christians urging them to practice Christianity in their daily lives rather than just talk about it. In chapter 2, James warned followers that showing favoritism toward others due to their nationality or class background was forbidden, and instead encouraged them to help everyone regardless of their stature. This same passage applies to self-professed Christians who refuse to help Syrian refugees:

14 What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them? 15 Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. 16 If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it?17 In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

 6. The fortunate are especially obligated to help the unfortunate (1 John 3:17)

Near the end of the Bible, the book of 1 John warns Christians to be wary of false prophets and false teachings. Chapter 3 of 1 John encourages followers to love one another not just with words, but with actions. He stresses that those in good circumstances are especially obligated to show compassion to those who aren’t.

17 If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person?

7. Concern yourself with the interests of others, rather than just your own (Philippians 2:3-4)

The apostle Paul wrote the book of Philippians while imprisoned. In the letter, he encourages the people of Philippi to grow their faith, and chapter 2, verses 3 and 4 encourages them to do so through altruistic actions:

3 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, 4 not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.

As these Bible verses prove, politicians who loudly profess their Christian faith while denying aid to strangers, healthcare to the poor, food to the hungry, the right of women to control their own bodies, are actually violating the basic tenets of Christianity. Anyone who identifies as a Christian or who swears an oath on the Bible should be the loudest voices in favor of helping Syrian refugees.

"Moscow Cares"
http://www.MoscowCares.com

- John Lennon