[Vision2020] Religious Kids Are Jerks

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Sun Nov 8 21:11:27 PST 2015

On 11/8/2015 1:16 PM, Robert Dickow wrote:

> True, You don’t need to have a religion in order to live a moral life.
> Atheists can follow the same moral principles that ‘govern’ God
> him/her/it-self . (See Plato)

Yes, Plato and Aristotle and a large number of subsequent writers
including, recently, Michael Sandel, author of Justice: What's the Right
Thing To Do?  It's a pretty good read -- not nearly as dense as many
philosophers -- and, published in 2009, not too out of date with its
examples.

> But the study doesn’t look into how adults behave. Maybe religious
> children are jerks, but maybe religious adults are more moral than
> atheist adults. …but somehow I doubt that this be the case.

Both cases of adults you mention are equally moral in the same sense
that they both breathe -- it's a natural function for both groups. What
may differentiate them is the quality and the character of their
considerations, if any, before they decide on the judgments they
accept.  More important than their current positions on various matters
is having a process for considering changes in those positions as the
world changes, and for discussing any changes under consideration with
others within their various communities.

Ken