[Vision2020] No sitting on blisters

Moscow Cares moscowcares at moscow.com
Sun Nov 1 04:29:40 PST 2015

Courtesy of today's (November 1, 2015) Lewiston Tribune with thanks to Moscow's former mayor Nancy Chaney.

---------------------------------
No sitting on blisters
Not planning to vote? Democracy needs participation to succeed. Abraham Lincoln said it more colorfully and memorably: "Elections belong to the people. It's their decision. If they decide to turn their back on the fire and burn their behinds, then they will just have to sit on their blisters."
Idahoans have been sitting on blisters too long. We complain about jobs, the economy, healthcare, education and ineptitude by elected officials, but in 2012, less than 58 percent of Idaho's voting age population even bothered to vote.
Idaho's blistering assessment includes vying for the highest percentage of minimum-wage jobs. Almost a quarter of Latah County's residents live below the poverty line, and if you're a single mom with kids, that figure jumps to around 85 percent.
Our state ranks 52nd in child care licensing and regulation. Idaho has turned its back on education, investing less per student than any other state. Our high school graduates are among the least likely to attend college.
The casual observer would be hard-pressed to find diversity among elected officials here. In the thick of campaigns, we are riveted to assertions of political scandals and maddening ineptitude, but seem loath to go to the polls. We can and must do better.
The stakes are high. Idaho needs elected officials who will work for our collective good and make hard decisions on our behalf, instead of just hunkering down and positioning themselves to win the next election. Don't sit on your blisters and suffer. Get up. Vote.
Nancy Chaney
Moscow

Seeya at the polls on Tuesday, Moscow, because . . .

"Moscow Cares"
http://www.MoscowCares.com