[Vision2020] Fw Special Edition: The Science of Food

lfalen lfalen at turbonet.com
Thu May 28 17:36:24 PDT 2015

-----Original Message-----
Subject:  Special Edition: The Science of Food
From: "Scientific American" <news at email.scientificamerican.com>
To: lfalen at turbonet.com
Date: 05/28/15 18:38:16

Deliciousness is the happy result of a surprising blend of factors, some of which have nothing to do with your taste budsTo view this email as a web page, go here.
You received this email because you opted-in to receive email from Scientific American.
To ensure delivery please add news at email.scientificamerican.com to your address book.

Special Edition Highlights

 Buy Now
 What Makes Food Taste So Good?
Deliciousness is the happy result of a surprising blend of factors, some of which have nothing to do with your taste buds
Michael Moyer
The Complexity of Coffee
>From plantation to bean, roasting to crema, Kefa to cafe, there is more to your latte than you might imagine
Ernesto Illy, Andrea Illy
The Science of Bubbly
A million mesmerizing bubbles rise from a glass of sparkling wine. Scientists believe they now understand how these tiny bits of fizz are born, take flight and burst in a nose-tickling spray
Gérard Liger-Belair
The Hidden Life of Truffles
Not just for gourmands, truffles play essential roles in the health of ecosystems. Efforts are underway to conserve threatened species that depend on these delicious fungi
James M. Trappe, Andrew W. Claridge
The Future of Chocolate
Pests, fungal infections and a changing climate threaten cacao crops and the chocolate they produce. But researchers have strategies to rescue this favorite sweet
Harold Schmitz, Howard-Yana Shapiro
How (and Why) to Eat Invasive Species
What's the best way to control ecological pests? Feed them to the world's greatest predator—us
Bun Lai
Eating Made Simple
A nutritionist boils a mountain of conflicting diet advice down to a few simple principles
Marion Nestle
The Food Addiction
Brain research reveals that fats and sugars may increasingly be driving people toward obesity
Paul J. Kenny
How to Fix the Obesity Crisis
Science has identified four steps to losing weight that can improve the odds of success
David H. Freedman
Is Your Food Contaminated?
To defend against a growing risk of food tainted by contaminants, man-made or natural, we need new technologies and better oversight
Mark Fischetti
The Birth of the Modern Diet
Ever wonder why dessert is served after dinner? Modern cooking evolved out of 17th-century ideas about diet and nutrition
Rachel Laudan
Alcohol in the Western World
Booze was the beverage of choice for much of human history. But over the past millennium, views of alcohol in the West have swerved from warm embrace to moral vilification to a worry about the human costs of abuse
Bert L. Vallee
The Amazing Multimillion-Year History of Processed Food
Humans have been “processing” food ever since we tamed fire and invented bread. Processed food has powered the evolution of the species, the expansion of empires and the exploration of space.
Evelyn Kim
Can We Feed the World and Sustain the Planet?
A global plan, ambitious but doable, could double food production by mid-century and simultaneously rein in the emissions, deforestation and pollution caused by agriculture
Jonathan A. Foley
Are Engineered Foods Evil?
Proponents of genetically modified crops say the technology is the only way to feed a warming, increasingly populous world. Critics say we tamper with nature at our peril. Who is right?
David H. Freedman
Inside the Meat Lab
A handful of scientists aim to satisfy the world's growing appetite for hamburgers—and eventually steak—without wrecking the planet. The first step: grab a petri dish
Jeffrey Bartholet
Building Tastier Fruits and Veggies—No GMOs Required
Making modern supermarket fruits and vegetables so big and hardy drained a lot of their flavor. Scientists now have the technology to bring it back—and it doesn't involve genetic engineering
Ferris Jabr
The Greenhouse Hamburger
Producing beef for the table releases more heat-trapping greenhouse gases than most people realize—far more, pound for pound, than are generated by the production of most other kinds of food
Nathan Fiala
The 5,000-Mile Salad
U.S. imports of fruits and vegetables are on the rise—especially avocados from Mexico
Mark Fischetti

Follow Us:

 Unsubscribe | Subscribe | FAQs | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
This message was sent to: lfalen at turbonet.com
Check out our New Products!
Scientific American
75 Varick St
New York, NY, 10013
Scientific American is a trademark of Scientific American, Inc., used with permission
© 2015 Scientific American, a division of Nature America, Inc.