[Vision2020] 5-20-15: Obama warns of climate change threat to national security

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Tue May 26 20:18:18 PDT 2015

Full text of Obama's recent Coast Guard commencement speech at first
website below. Note his comments on terrorism and Middle East, which some
are complaining Obama should have focused on (Islamic State especially)
rather than climate change:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2015/05/20/remarks-president-united-states-coast-guard-academy-commencement

It is rather astonishing that this speech by Obama, with the emphasis on
climate change, as indicated in the subject heading, should be
controversial.  Apparently, those in the Republican party (Sen. John
Barrasso, Sen. James Inhofe, Republican Jeb Bush, as this article
indicates:
"Obama says climate change threatens national security, causing Republicans
to scoff"
http://www.cleveland.com/nation/index.ssf/2015/05/obama_says_climate_change_thre.html
)
continuing to dismiss anthropogenic global warming as a serious threat to
national security, that must be addressed, don't listen to the very
military advisors they ostensibly assert we should respect, assuming the
loyalty to the military that is allegedly a trademark of Republican politics
.

Consider this report, "National Security and the Threat of Climate
Change," readable
at the website below (short article on this report below also)* from 8
years ago, issued by professional military advisors*, listed below,
declaring, on pg. 5 of Executive Summary of the pdf document:

*"Projected climate change poses a serious*
*threat to America’s national security."*

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=9580815

http://www.npr.org/documents/2007/apr/security_climate.pdf

The report continues:

"The predicted effects of climate change over

the coming decades include extreme weather

events, drought, flooding, sea level rise, retreating

glaciers, habitat shifts, and the increased spread

of life-threatening diseases. These conditions

have the potential to disrupt our way of life and

to force changes in the way we keep ourselves

safe and secure."

*THE MILITARY ADVISORY BOARD*

*G E N E R A L G O R D O N R . S U L L I V A N , U S A (Ret.) *

*Former Chief of Staff, U.S. Army Chairman, Military Advisory Board *

*A D M I R A L F R A N K “ S K I P ” B O W M A N , U S N (Ret.) *

*Former Director, Naval Nuclear Propulsion Program; Former Deputy
Administrator-Naval Reactors, National Nuclear Security Administration *

*L I E U T E N A N T G E N E R A L L A W R E N C E P. F A R R E L L J R . ,
U S A F (Ret.) *

*Former Deputy Chief of Staff for Plans and Programs, Headquarters U.S. Air
Force *

*V I C E A D M I R A L P A U L G . G A F F N E Y I I , U S N (Ret.) *

*Former President, National Defense University; Former Chief of Naval
Research and Commander, Navy Meteorology and Oceanography Command *

*G E N E R A L P A U L J . K E R N , U S A (Ret.) *

*Former Commanding General, U.S. Army Materiel Command *

*A D M I R A L T. J O S E P H L O P E Z , U S N (Ret.) *

*Former Commander-in-Chief, U.S. Naval Forces Europe and of Allied Forces,
Southern Europe *

*A D M I R A L D O N A L D L . “ D O N ” P I L L I N G , U S N (Ret.)*

*Former Vice Chief of Naval Operations *

*A D M I R A L J O S E P H W . P R U E H E R , U S N (Ret.)*

*Former Commander-in-Chief of the U.S. Pacific Command (PACOM) and Former
U.S. Ambassador to China *

*V I C E A D M I R A L R I C H A R D H . T R U LY, U S N (Ret.) *

*Former NASA Administrator, Shuttle Astronaut and the first Commander of
the Naval Space Command *

*G E N E R A L C H A R L E S F. “ C H U C K ” W A L D , U S A F (Ret.) *

*Former Deputy Commander, Headquarters U.S. European Command (USEUCOM) *

*G E N E R A L A N T H O N Y C . “ T O N Y ” Z I N N I , U S M C (Ret.) *

*Former Commander-in-Chief of U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM*