[Vision2020] Keeping church and state of mind separate in Moscow

Paul Rumelhart paul.rumelhart at gmail.com
Tue May 19 20:32:01 PDT 2015

I just fundamentally dislike the idea of judging someone based on one sole
attribute of theirs, in this case their religious affiliation.  There's
more to the job of being a board member for the Co-op than just this one
issue.  Just as there is more to each of these board members than just what
church they go to.

As far as I'm aware, Doug Wilson is not a board member.  Doug can certainly
talk some shit, but I don't see his nefarious plans of wanting to transform
Moscow into his ideal town as being anything to worry about.  Everyone
wants to transform Moscow into their ideal town.

Also, at least as far as the bakery owners go, I don't see their refusal to
bake a cake for a gay wedding as being something worthy of the term
"hate".  They disagree with the idea of weddings of two members of the same
sex for strong religious reasons.  They had no wish to play any part in
that.  Have they actually said anything to indiacate that they hate the
people for whom they refused to bake a cake?  I don't agree with them, but
I can understand them.  There's a far cry between refusing to bake a cake
for a ceremony they have religious issues with and not wanting to serve
gays generally.  I think people are too quick to jump on the idea that
anyone who has religious issues with gay weddings must hate gays in general.

As for Doug, I'm not a member of his religion but I think his rant about
kicking out gay customers goes against the grain of what he preaches.  Hate
the sin, love the sinner.  If anything, he should welcome gays into his
restaurant, since they would be high on his list of people that need
fellowship.  But, as I say, I'm not a religious scholar.

Paul