[Vision2020] Not from "The Onion"

rforce at moscow.com rforce at moscow.com
Sat May 16 14:28:39 PDT 2015

>From "Eye on Boise", spokesman.com

THURSDAY, MAY 14, 2015, 3:52 P.M.
Freedom Foundation disavows employee's social media posts saying law
shouldn't force parents to keep kids alive

Days before a special legislative session to address Idaho’s child support
enforcement laws, Idaho Freedom Foundation policy analyst Parrish Miller
posted a link on his personal Twitter account saying the law shouldn’t
force parents to keep their children alive, reports Melissa Davlin of
Idaho Public TV. The post linked to a 2007 article on a libertarian
website that says while laws can and should prevent parents from murdering
their children, they should have a legal right to allow their children to
die. When asked on Twitter if courts should “enforce against breaches of
familial obligations,” Miller wrote, “Philosophically, I remain
unconvinced that such obligations exist,” then posted a link to the item,
Davlin reports; her full post is online here at her Idaho Reports blog.

Davlin writes that Miller’s IFF colleagues don’t necessarily endorse his
views. Wayne Hoffman, IFF president, told Davlin, “If it’s not on my
website, it’s not something I’m endorsing.” He said, “I pay child support.
I have for five years. I don’t question the validity of states to compel
parents to make child support payments. That’s not what my organization is
getting after here.” Hoffman said his concerns about the child support
enforcement legislation have to do with “the state being able to maintain
proper legislative oversight over a particular program.”

POSTED MAY 14, 2015, 3:52 P.M.